BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

TODD RECOMMENDS...

The Glorious Unseen - Tonight The Stars Speak
Released October 23, 2007 / Tooth and Nail Records

As a worship leader, I have a lot of responsibilities. You know, the normal responsibilities every other worship leader has. But for me, one of the most fun aspects of my job is to pass on information about songs and ideas to other worship leaders.

But it's an odd calling - lots of times worship leaders look at me like I'm crazy. Like I didn't get the memo that we're not supposed to work together or share songs or ideas - that I'm somehow breaking some important rule about serving just my church in just my town.

So, if you're weirded out by one worship leader passing resources to another, then you're a loser and you've got severe mental problems. You should leave this site immediately.

Whew! I'm glad they're gone, aren't you?

Look, finding good worship music is hard. A lot of of is cliche-junk that's pitched too high or over-produced or suffocating under the weight of its own pretense. That's worship leaders should work together - finding songs and sharing them.

Tonight The Stars Speak is a record you need to hear. Produced by Steve Hindalong and Marc Byrd (very sharp producers,) The Glorious Unseen's 2007 release is a mid-tempo and mellow batch of tunes that simply stick. Let's break it down.

Songwriting
Mostly congregational, occasionally conversational, these songs have solid lyrics and melodies that are somehow unobtrusive, yet infectious. To put in practical terms, imagine a collection of Hillsong United's best big, mid-tempo tunes. Every song on Tonight The Stars Speak is epic. There aren't many rockers, but I'd guess that 6 or 7 songs could be instantly implemented into most praise team situations.

Production/Arrangement
Hindalong's fingerprints are all over this record. There's probably not another worship record out there with such brilliant use of synth and drone notes. (Hindalong is known for his skillfull pairing of synth and ambient electric guitar in modern rock arrangements.) It remains to be seen if these songs would work without the synth/keys. They aren't hard parts, but they are strongly connected to the songs, "making" many of the tracks. Finding the right patches and tones for both synth and electric guitar might prove a challenge, but I think most of the songs would hold up. Toward the end of the record, vocals get a little predictable and tired, but I think the songs would stand up with more normal, everyday vocals.

Target
In my opinion, Tonight The Stars Speak is probably aimed at a few different groups. I think college worship teams would dig these songs. The ethereal nature, lyrical phrasing and lengthy arrangements just seem to lend themselves to those sort of extended worship settings. Secondly, I think more charismatic churches would benefit from these songs. It's a shame that so many charsmatic churches of late have been locked into a certain brand of music. ...Stars Speak is big enough and new enough to breathe some life into those churches getting a little tired of the same 'ol thing. I also think the third benefit of this record is just for pure listening pleasure. I've been really enjoying this record at night, in the car, any time where I just want to kick back and have something nice and smooth playing in the background.

If you're looking to listen to something a bit experimental, way epic and fresh-sounding, give The Glorious Unseen a try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

todd...this looks great..thanks for the heads up.
hindalong is the best...is he playing drums on this one? i love his drum work from the choir days

Todd Wright said...

I think it's their drummer...i really hear the choir-influence more on the guitar-side, but I'm sure his influence is on all of it.

Good producers have a way of making everything better...