BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

WHO MADE YOU?

David's recent post about influential records got me thinking about all the people in my life who have shaped who I am, what I think, how I behave, etc.

After thinking on that for awhile, I started to think about people who have influenced me in my chosen field of ministry/career of worship leading. These are people who helped in some of my formative stages. Their support and encouragement shaped by thoughts and theories and put me on the path to realizing my full, God-given potential.

Mitch Powell - Mitch was my first youth minister. As I came into youth group at my church, the current guy was leaving, so I had no idea what to expect. Mitch was loud and funny and sincere and he was the first guy to ask me to lead worship. (My first time was singing Carman's "God's Got Army" with one of those Youth Worship Split-Track CDs. Ugghh.) Mitch was always ready with an encouraging word.

Tim Stacy - Coming up in a pretty conservative church in the 80's, (Who didn't, right?) I had almost no exposure to the modern praise and worship movement. Thanks to Christian radio (Yeah, I said it) and a man named Tim Stacy, I became a fan and researcher of all things worship. Tim took me in when I was a passionate young man in danger of becoming bitter and angry at my church's lack of "progress." (Oh, the drama!) Tim put good music in my hands and encouraged me that God was taking care of his church, even if I didn't believe it.

Ralph Rose - Ralph was the first guy to ever walk up to me and say, "You can make a record." Ralph is the reason I got hooked on playing gigs and recording music. His faith in me was unshakable - and a little bit unfounded. He thought I was better than everybody. He was wrong, but it's nice to have a guy like that in your corner.

Lance Burch - Lance is responsible for one of the most exciting times in my worship-leading life. He begged Kristen and me to lead worship for his youth group for months before we agreed. I'm so glad we finally wised up. My time as Lance's worship leader ended up being worship boot camp. I tested songs, learned about observing a crowd and formed some pretty important theories about what worship is supposed to be.

They are others, but these guys loom pretty large in my past. They are markers in the journey of my ministry - testaments to God's faithfulness to put good, Godly people in the lives of punk kids to shape those kids to be something useful and good.

You don't have to be a musician to have influences; everybody's got 'em. So, in your field of expertise.

WHO SHAPED YOU?

0 comments: