BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Lent vs. Candy

As my friends know, I gave up sugar for Lent this year. Now since I've only observed Lent once before, this has been a tough one for me. I'm sure there are numerous spiritual elitists who believe that I should not share my lenten committments with others, but you know, I do stuff a lot worse than that on any given day. So bite me, theologan.

I mentioned it earlier in the experience that Lent makes me appreciate the magnitude of Christ's suffering because my little trouble pales in comparison. But now I have a new observation.

I'm an addict. Since I've got off sugar, I've lost weight, learned some significant spiritual truths and done something regarding personal discipline that I never thought possible. But you know what I'm not?

Happy.

Since I removed sugar, I see how much I enjoyed a delicious Little Debbie or bowl of Golden Grahams. I looked forward to that. And you know what? I think it made more fun. Now, I'm at a birthday party and someone offers me cake and I politely decline and they look at me like, "Isnt' this jolly, portly, fun old Todd?" Well, guess what? It's not. It's pensive, disciplined, boring Todd. And I don't know if I like him.

I'm enjoying getting a bit healthier. In fact, I think I'll approach the whole issue of junk food differently after Lent is done. Is that what Lent is? Is it supposed to turn us into these super-somber people for 40 days? I get the symbolism. I get the whole dark, mourning time. But Christ is alive. What do you do when symbolism starts taking the place of reality? Can I sing a song about Jesus' resurrection during Lent or do I have to wait until the glorious Easter morn?

Jesus lives. Have a Snickers.
Who am I now, Chesterton?

0 comments: