BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 11, 2011

Top Five Favorite Places To Eat in Tyler, Texas

I like to eat out.

This is no surprise to anyone.

We've lived in Tyler almost three years now and in the time, I've developed some definite "hangs" where I most enjoy sharing a meal with family and friends.

Some of these places grabbed me right off; others are new and are quickly becoming the most likely place you'll find me on a fun Tyler night.

If you're not from Tyler and you're here visiting, I strongly urge to consider this list when making your dining plans.

*Please note. Restaurants are listed in no particular order.

  • Bruno's (Pizza)
    We first had Bruno's when interviewing with the Bethel elders. I remember taking a bite of the best lasagna I had ever tasted and immediately asking, "Where did this come from?" Now, Bruno's isn't necessarily the easiest place to eat. It's expensive. It's crowded. And the take-out clerks could be a little nicer. But I don't care. I love it. And I'll eat it any place, any time.

  • Don Juan's (Mexican)
    It took us awhile to find Don Juan's. But once somebody mentioned dollar-taco Wednesday, we knew we had to check it out. Here's what we like about Don Juan's - sure you can get the giant plate filled with enough food for a high school football team, but we like how many small options there are. A taco or two, a side, some queso and you're good to go. Plus, it usually a pretty cheap meal. But be warned...if you go there and don't try the choriqueso, I can't be your friend anymore.

  • Smashburger/Jucy's (Burgers)
    Yes, I've listed two places, primarily because this is a rift in our family. Kristen is a straight-up Jucy's girl. It's her favorite burger place. My favorite is Smashburger. (Please understand...I'll make myself eat Jucy's if I have to.) Kristen likens Jucy's to a place in Lufkin called "Ray's" which we always loved. I still think Smashburger's better, though. Those fries...man, those fries.

  • Newk's (Sandwich)
    Definitely the most unassuming restaurant on the list, but I've yet to have anything NOT awesome at this place. Plus, they sell a "big salad." I'm sure it's called something else, but when I get the chance to name something after Seinfeld, I take it. I used to do the club sandwich. Until I found the grilled steak. Let's just take a minute and thank God for His many gifts...like STEAK. STEAK. The only problem with Newk's is that you can't eat there for lunch without getting shanked by corporate women in business suits who need your table the second you're done eating.

  • BJ's (Everything)
    My family is so tired of me saying, "Let's eat at BJ's!" But I can't get enough. The pizza isn't technically "deep dish", but it's thick and greasy and wonderful. The burgers don't look like burgers but make me want to cry and they make their own root beer. Little pricey so I don't go there often, but when I do, I go big.
What are some of your favorite places to eat in your town?

1 comments:

Toby said...

Spring Creek BBQ - the rolls and free Blue Bell ice cream at Sunday lunch.

Olivetto - Pesto Chicken Pasta. I may need to drive in to Tyler this week.

BJ's - fish 'n' chips. I did not know about the root beer. I'm on that!

Smashburger (never been to Jucy's)- The Smash sauce they put on their burgers is just like my mama used to make.

Sonoma Grill (I've never taken my kids here and I never will) - Love the Sonoma Baja Burger, but just everything here is good.

Dakota's Chop House - The steak was not as impressive as I had hoped for, but they had a squash and onion dish made from local produce and dill cream.

Cheddar's - Yes, I said it! I love their Buffalo Chicken Wrap and their Mushroom Dijon Chicken. Their burgers are good too.

Chuy's - Everything on their menu is good. I love the jalapeno ranch dip they serve with the chips. The fajitas are awesome. They're marinated 24 hours in beer and other spices. I love the house-made tortillas almost as much as I love breathing.