BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 10, 2010

SUNDAY SETLIST 1/10/09

Kicked off a brand new 10-week sermon series Sunday called "The Gospel: In Everyday Life." Didn't have much in the way of media, but we did introduce a new plan where our Sunday night life groups will follow the 10-week study with discussion guides, scripture, etc.

Here's what we did during Sunday's service.

SONG 1 - CALL UPON YOUR NAME (Don Poythress)
This song was a good test for us. Now, I love Don Poythress, but so far, I've been anxious to add another one of his songs to our catalog. My fear is that it would come off as too "country," but the song worked perfectly. There's a definite Americana feel to it...especially with regard to melody, but I thought it came across great. The band did a fantastic job. Ray Wilson especially gave it just the right blend of rock and twang on electric guitar.

SONG 2 - TODAY IS THE DAY (Lincoln Brewster)
Ah, I remember when this song was hard....
Okay, that might be a bit much, but today was a great moment for me to realize how far this team has come in a year. I remember the band learning this song and all of us wondered if it would EVER work! This one went like clockwork. Bruce McMinn did a great job on drums.

SONG 3 - A THOUSAND TONGUES (Michael Neale)
Michale Neale's hymn remake is really good. I think our first set version went better than the second, but both were good. We probably good have amped up the energy some, but overall, the song was really tight.

SONG 4 - LEAD ME TO THE CROSS (Hillsong)
Second week to do this song. This was my week to assess this thing to see if it works. I think the song does work for us, but I'll probably make changes next go around, specifically the Bridge-Chorus-Chorus. The bridge fall just doesn't work and I think the double choruses at the end stretch the song out too long. Sarah and Elizabeth were so strong on vocals on this one. I loved hearing them sing it
.
SONG 5 - COME THOU FOUNT OF EVERY BLESSING (Matthew Smith)
We don't do Matthew's version note-for-note, but we try to capture the overall feel. So far, this song has worked every single time we've done it. Probably could add more verses in to stretch out but that would be killing the instrumental interlude that breaks up each verse.
____________
It was a great day. The team had a great attitude, they nailed their parts and they were engaged in what was happening in the room. Now, to do it again next Sunday!

0 comments: