BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 07, 2009

FREAK OUT...


Let's be honest: dc Talk's Jesus Freak record changed the game.
Spent some time recently listening back through it and had a couple of thoughts.
___________________________________
  • The songwriting is really good on this record. It's more than just cool production. Look through a track listing and you'll realize just how many great songs are on the record.

  • They should have subtitled this record, "Kevin Smith Discovers Bono." I'm serious, the whole record is like Smith trying to channel Achtung Baby. I'm not hating...it sounds good...but I think it's maybe a little much.

  • Every time I hear this record, I'm amazed that TobyMac is the dude who ended up at the top of the heap. I like Michael Tait and Kevin Smith's solo stuff, but who would have thought the rapper would end up the darling of CCM?

  • I think anybody who grew up with contemporary Christian music of the 90's remembers their first "Jesus Freak" moment. I remember riding in the car with two church friends, Joel Greene and Kendall Miller, when they were on break from college in Arkansas. They had the "Jesus Freak" single and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
What was your favorite Jesus Freak song?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was dating Austin when this cd first got popular. I loved it & listened to it over & over again - never got sick of it. Loaned it to him & was floored to find out he loved it. I wasn't sure what he would think because he wasn't "into" Christian music at all back then. (1997) What's significant about that is that he was in a very different place than I with God. He had only recently come out of that cult, among other things. I remember he called me up & told me it just blew him away. It STILL blows me away ..

Robert Conn said...

Two memories:

1) Driving back and forth from College Station to Porter listening to nothing but this CD. Surprised I didn't warp it.

2) Playing Jesus Freak in our dorm's "Loud Hour" and taking home the grand prize!

Ahh, good days. This is why I still have it in my rotation.

Dale Best said...

My favorite's are Between You and Me and Mind's Eye ...

Liz said...

Hands down, "What if I Stumble?".