BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

SongWrighting...

A few months ago, I started doing a thing called "SongWrighting."

The idea was this...I would post old/new/work-in-progress songs to my YouTube page to get feedback. I did a couple of videos with some old stuff I'm thinking about "bringing back." I got a few comments, which was cool, but I decided to take it to another level.

Because the number of folks who read this blog is much bigger than the number of my YouTube subscribers, I figured I'd take a leap of faith and let ALL OF YOU hear this new song and give me your thoughts.

I wrote this song (or most of it) on Tuesday/Wednesday and shot this video Wednesday night. And now, I'm sharing it here because I want to know what you think.

I'll do the song with the lyrics superimposed. And then I'll throw a few of questions/concerns out there. I'd love to know what you think.




Oh..and the volume level of this thing is really hot. Turn down your speakers...unless you really want to hear Distortion Todd rocking out on your computer.

Thanks for listening!

7 comments:

Robert Conn said...

I don't think you're over-thinking your theology. I think that's a good thing. If people are going to be humming this tune on Monday mornings (which they undoubtedly will) then think hard on it.

Todd Wright said...

That's true....but is it lame line?

mimi said...

This is Donna Newton. I am 62, so you might say to what I am saying, no way, but here goes.
Question 1 - No. I like the variation in the first line and 2nd line, because it adds interest.
Question 2 - "We've no worth." I agree that the theology is right, and when I listened the first time, for a moment, I said, "What?" Then, "O yes." Part of the double take could have been my hearing.
Questions 3 - I think the third verse should build on the first two. If you read Holman Christian Standard Bible, Psalm 90:1-2 says this, which I think is a culminating thought of what you have already said:
"Lord, You have been our refuge in every generation. Before the mountains were born, before You gave birth to the earth and the world, from eternity to eternity, You are God."
I think some rendition of these words would be nice, beause they establish deep the presence and faithfulness of God--then back to the chorus or refrain or whatever you call it. FWIW

oldfart said...

Hey Todd,

You have my interest. Could you shoot me a written copy of what you have so far so I could get a "grasp"(best word I could think of) of the song in general? I would like to help if I could.

sam

Caroline said...

Well..I know nothing about song writing.but I really enjoyed listening to what you have so far..I was ready to sing along..which I think is very important..easy to follow!!! sorry..that's all i have :)

Kacie said...

Hey Todd! I personally like the long lines?(I think is what you called it) for the riff. It sounds really good and I didn't have any theological questions or concerns, it made sense to me. It's great, keep it up!

finn said...

Good start. I like where you're going and dig the hymny feel. Suggestion for chorus second line would be "No payment we could make." Maybe that helps to clarify the distinction between our inability and Christ's sufficiency. Definitely in favor of longer riff lines. I think the alternative could get to busy and detract from the contemplation in the song. Yes bridge. It could be a way to elevate the mood and focus more directly on some thoughts/examples of God's faithfulness. Although my opinion might change on this with the addition of the 3rd verse.

Just some thoughts. Cool idea to share the creative process in real time.