BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Keepin' It Real This Holiday Season...

I was telling Jonah some "Christmas stories" from my youth the other day and I started to wonder what would be some of my best Christmas moments.

Like most of you, I've got tons of memories about gifts I received or meals I shared or funny stuff that happened in our family.

But one memory still hangs on with startling clarity.

I was a teenager and old enough to drive. Upon receipt of my driver's license, my dad presented me with a little red truck. I loved that truck. It was the stuff of country songs and folklore - it was freedom.

I can't remember if it was the Christmas immediately following my birthday or the next year, but I remember my parents handing me this big box on Christmas Eve.

I tore into it, my mouth gaping open as I realized what they had given me.

A CD stereo system.

Now, if I was lame, I'd make some sort of stupid joke like, "You know, kids, back in my day, cars didn't come with CD players."

But I am not lame.

I am cool.

Now that gift was great, but that's not the memory. The thing I remember most is what happened when my Dad saw the look in my eyes.

He got up from his comfortable chair, threw on his boots and led me outside where we installed that CD player and speakers that very night.

It was a complicated process and luckily, I was only responsible for handing him stuff. (Some things never change...) But we worked into the night to get it all hooked up and finally, I popped in my brand new Mortal disc and cranked it for all it was worth.

I'll never forget the fact that my very tired father went out of his way to do something so generous for me. I'll always appreciate my dad for that.

Now, it's your turn. Take a second and share one of your best Christmas stories in the comment section below!

0 comments: