BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 21, 2005

The Stuff I See

As I mentioned in last night's blog, worship yesterday was really good. Everything just worked together, I guess. Strangely, it wasn't until today that I remembered something neat that happened as I was leading.

I forget what tune we were doing, but I had seen a woman earlier that I thought I knew. She was visiting the church, but I just couldn't place her. Beside her stood a man and woman who are faithful members at our church. They are both quiet reserved people who love God and have always encouraged me with kind words.
Neither one of these folks are particularly physically expressive in worship. Please know that I'm not one who thinks that physical worship is everything. Yes, we are to obey the Word as far as what we do in worship, but I also understand the tribe to which I minister. Many of them are newly on the journey of finding an intimacy with the Father.
So I am doing this song and a slight movement catches my eye. I looked to see the wife slowly raising her hand in worship. Her eyes were closed...she was singing...and she lifted her hand just below shoulder-level. It wasn't a big movement. In fact, I doubt anybody saw it but me. But it was a big deal for her.
I'm not a great worship teacher. I don't write songs that are sung all over the state. Sometimes I don't have a clue how to get from one song to the other. But in moments like yesterday, I realize what a privilege it is to serve in the praise of God.

I honestly believe I had nothing to do with that expression that I saw. But it was a rare gift from the Father and it reminded me of the pure elation we find in sweet, simple surrender.

0 comments: