BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 03, 2011

7/3/11 @ Bethel Bible Church

Wow, lots of stuff in one little song set. This post nearly gave me carpal tunnel! Summer is in full swing at Bethel, which means LOTS of new faces. While Fall always brings familiar faces back into the sanctuary, Summer seems to be when new folks decide to give us a try.

We're trying our best to meet new people and help them in their journey to know God's Word. It's hard work, but there's nothing we'd rather do!

If you're a worship leader, I'd love to know what you did today! Leave a comment below and share with all of us...we'd love to hear about it!

YOUR GRACE IS ENOUGH (G)
Nice intro here. We used a click for the electric guitar and drums, so they both came in right on beat. During the first service, I had our singer, Sarah, welcome everybody. In second service, I TOTALLY forgot and did the welcome instead of Sarah. I felt stupid, but luckily, nobody knew I messed up. Other than the band, that is...

Scripture

We ended the first song and I started reading Romans 5:1-2 as our drummer started the beat.
"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

MADE US ALIVE (A)
We changed up our arrangement just a bit. First off, we taught the congregation the vocal part that runs under the bridge. I had drums hold the beat while I taught it to them. Bass and B3 grooved through the progression...nice and smooth! I flubbed the order during 2nd service and jumped to the chorus too quick, but luckily the chords were all the same. Once again...Todd's brain was not working! I just pretended like I did it to challenge the team. (Hee hee.) We have a tendency to rush this one, so we used the click live.

Welcome

Our Executive Pastor Fritz Hager was on deck this week. He welcomed folks and read from Psalm 115. We mentioned our freedom as a nation and encouraged the congregation to focus on the fact that we are freed people through the work of Christ. It was a good welcome.

RISING (E)
Second time we've brought this one out. Both times, I've had some concern about it, but the congregation seems to respond to it. We had to change up the introduction since it was over our "greeting" time. Our electric player, Ray, did a great job on the lead break.

Transition

Sarah, our vocalist, leads "I'm Singing", so we had her talk through a transition. She did so good. It was funny and personal and perfect for our service. She admitted to be addicted to an American Revolution series and made a great comparison of "heroes" to Jesus. In second service, it was the most comfortable I've ever seen her!

I'M SINGING (E)
Used click on this one, too. Our keyboard guy, Tim, uses a nice Rhodes-like patch on the keyboard with a slight flange, which has a nice shimmer. We use click to keep this one nice and jazzy. Drums and bass had a little trouble locking in, but the song still went okay. Sarah did a good job leading this one.

Communion
I explained that communion was an act of worship and celebration of God's grace. I also gave a brief preview of what we would be doing (response, order of communion, etc.) I called the men forward and then started the communion liturgy.

I began by reading the COLLECT FOR PURITY:
Almighty God, unto Whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from Whom no secrets are hid; Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of Your Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love You, and worthily magnify Your holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Then the congregation responded based on I Corinthians 10:16-17.
The cup that we bless is participation in the blood of Christ. The bread that we break is participation in the body of Christ.

As the music started, the men distributed the bread and juice.

IN MY PLACE (G)
We played through 2 passes of this song (V-C, V-C). We were supposed to fall right into the bridge, but the guys weren't done passing out the elements. In the first service, I let the band play through the C to D transition, then called an audible chorus repeat. For some reason, I didn't call the audible in the second service, going right into a repeat chorus. Initially, I just forgot, but I kinda' expected the band to know where to go since the guys weren't back to the table yet. (Just like first service.) I think most of the band was too tied to their charts, but I also just dropped the ball.

Communion
When the men returned, I read the communion text from I Corinthians 11:
In the same night that he was betrayed, took bread; and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take, eat this is my body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” Likewise after supper he took the cup; and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink ye all of this; for this is my blood of the New Covenant, which is shed for you and for many, for the forgiveness of sins; do this as oft as ye shall drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes. As folks ate and drank, we went back into "In My Place".

Sermon

Fritz taught from Romans and did a great job. Plus, his sermon was short. (Hear that, Ross Strader?)

A good day. Hate that I flubbed more than usual, but I think the set still came off okay. Gave me some good "notes" to take home.

0 comments: