BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

3/2/05 8:15pm

If I was being honest, and let's say for argument's sake that I always am, I would willingly admit that liturgy- at least in my own personal experience - does nothing for me.
Now, when I speak of liturgy, I hold a very specific idea in my head. I'm talking about recitations, read prayers and oral responses to scripture.
I know the standard comeback - I've studied the issue at least long enough to know the comeback that the liturgist has for me . . .
"Doesn't do anything for? Liturgy isn't about you! Liturgy isn't a feeling. You do liturgy because God deserves it."


I suppose there's some truth to that, but if the church is going to say that liturgy is some sort of spiritual discipline, then why can't we hold it to the same standard that we hold all the other ones.
Prayer, Bible study, worship, servanthood - we all judge this things by the level of growth we experience as we do them. I'm not saying we experience dramatic life-change every time we read the Bible. We all know that there are many times where Bible study is just that - Bible study. But we do it because God has said that His Word is truth and the truth will set us free.

Here's the way I look at it - if I keep coming to worship and I'm not changing, not growing, I need to reevaluate what I'm doing. Am I worshipping in a way that's unbiblical? Is God using the dry season to get my attention about something in my personal life?

If liturgy doesn't change us - doesn't grow us closer to the Father, then why do we do it? Just to remember? Why? A memory is supposed to remind you, to take your thoughts back to something. If liturgy doesn't bring me back to something that continually teaches and matures me, what's the use?
Maybe it's me. Maybe I need to work harder at remembering. I just know that I've been trying liturgy for awhile now and I don't think I've grown from it at all.

0 comments: