BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 01, 2007

You know, a big part of my "Methodist" journey over these past couple of years has been the slow and steady knowledge of what works personally for me with regard to worship.

I say this knowing that many folks will pipe up that worship is not about what works for me "personally" and that (GASP) "it's not about me."

However, we would be fools if we ignored the fact that our personal preferences don't play a part in the worship experience. For example, I don't like Southern Gospel songs. I don't personally enjoy them. However, I can worship to them. I can appreciate what they're saying and how it relates to the honor that God deserves.

That's a very brief background to say this - I typically don't enjoy liturgy. Now, before everybody gets all loud about how "EVERY CHURCH HAS A LITURGY, JERK!" (See, I've had lots of these discussions before...I know what a lot of you are going to say...) let me explain. In actuality, I am trying to communicate that I don't enjoy many facets of traditional Methodist liturgy. For example, I usually don't particularly/personally enjoy congregational responses - I do them and I do my best to respect and receive from them, but personally, I don't dig it.

And such has been my journey - discovering what I think is cool, what I think isn't cool and still being a mature follower of Christ regardless.

I say all of that to say this - that I am beginning to form some relatively concrete opinions about worship and it's due in part to my Methodist experience over the years. I don't mean to say that the Methodists have the corner on anything; rather its a case of the United Methodist Church being relatively traditional regardless of worship style.

One opinion that's becoming pretty solid is the fact that I have real problems with a worship space that doesn't include a cross.

You have to understand, I'm Mr. Modern Worship Guy, okay? I've always been the guy wanting the multiple screens and the light show and the "produced" service. It's a big step for me to start vocalizing what I see as problems within the modern church movement that I've been so excited about in my life.

Do I need to explain why I think churches should have a cross somewhere in the worship area? How is it that churches and ministry so intent on "reaching the lost" have completely removed the very symbol that represents the redemption of mankind?

I don't get it. I don't understand how God-fearing, God-honoring church leaders and elders can draw up plans for a building and decided not to have a cross! I'm not trying to make it all about icons, but come on, church! I don't know many evangelical churches (in the South at least) that would shy away from preaching the cross - so why aren't we showing it?

I need the cross. I need to hear about it, sing about it and look at it. I need it as a reminder not only of what Christ has done, but what His sacrifice is still about. I need to remember the cross, because I too often forget that God's passion for redeeming and restoring and saving has not waned. We've got to get the cross back, guys.

Questions for Discussion:
1. Is the "symbol" of the cross as important as I've made it? Should every Christian church have a cross located in the worship space? Why or why not?

2. Why do you think churches have moved away from having an actualy physical cross on the premises?

5 comments:

Robert Conn said...

Like the cross. Don't like the artistic looking cross. When I think death on a cross I don't think art, curves, and stainless steel... I think rugged, splintered, distressed, and stained. Maybe a little rotten too. But that doesn't look pretty with a manicured worship center.

Johnny! said...

1. Is the "symbol" of the cross as important as I've made it? Should every Christian church have a cross located in the worship space? Why or why not?
It's an important symbol among many. It has become the primary Christian symbol, so in accord with tradition (capital "T"?) it's entirely appropriate to have in the Church. That, or a crucifix ("My Jesus isn't still on the Cross!!!"). I think Churches should have one, but I also think they should have a lot of other symbols as well--Alpha and Omega, Chi Ro, In Hoc Signo, fish, Chalice, Pantokrator icon...

2. Why do you think churches have moved away from having an actually physical cross on the premises?
1. Mistaken interpretation of the Second Commandment.
2. Pietism. Reduction of spirituality to "what's in my heart." Semi-gnostic rejection of the physical and the beautiful.
3. It might turn off the seekers who are being worshipped on Sunday morning. ;)

Lance said...

I really appreciate the tone that you took with this post. After all, you said this has to do with your personal likes and dislikes.
We all have them. I don't like songs that have a spoken narration in the middle. I don't like worship songs reproduced to sound exactly like the cd... complete with the ad lib descants sung "off the cuff" by a back up singer.

But, I can do without the physical cross in a worship service. Here are some of my reasons.

1. The cross was not a symbol in the early church. The cross only became popular after those who had seen one used died off. The early symbol was a fish... but, you knew that. So... the question. Were these early churches just focused on seekers? Or, were they just openly and authentically worshipping Jesus in homes and in the temple?

2. Jesus never said anything about remembering the cross. Interesting, because he does say to remember some things. Through the Lord's Supper he introduced through symbology his sacrifice. We are to remember his sacrifice - in song, in sermons, in deeds.

3. When it came to disputes about form... ie. "Our fathers worship on that hill... you jews worship in Jerusalem," Jesus was ambivalent. He said that his worshippers will worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. It would seem that anything that adds to that experience is okay/great/affirmed - but not commanded.

4. We are to take up our cross, preach the cross, live the cross, remember the cross... but to say that a physical cross is necessary for real worship, and not having one is pandering to the seeker - is cynical and wrong. We worship always... should we carry around a cross with us always - physically?

5. Personally, I love the images of the empty tomb. I would make a case for an icon of the victory as well as the sacrifice.

Todd Wright said...

I think everybody's making some good points here.

If I follow what Lance is saying, then another question pops in my head. If we're focusing on the specific commands (i.e., "remember...") then I would offer the Jesus' instructions on prayer.

"This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.'For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

I realize that we didn't start out by talking about Jesus' commands per se, but I think Lance brings up an interesting point.

My question is how many churches celebrate the Lord's Supper, but don't pray the Lord's Prayer?

Am I getting too off subject here?

Johnny! said...

How many Churches even celebrate the Supper?