BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Burden

I was talking to Romack a few days ago and our conversation turned, of course, to worship.

Specifically, we were talking about the abundance of really bad songs that the big-market-mega-hit-worship-machine keeps churning out.

Then, Justin says it. I don't want him to say it, but he does, and he's right.

He says something akin to: "You know, I just don't think most congregations even think that hard about the songs they're singing."

It's true. Let's be honest, a lot of us would love it if our congregations would be a bit more discerning about the songs we're teaching them. It may feel great every Sunday afternoon, but is it really a healthy thing if your people just open up and swallow whatever you feed them?

It makes me wonder about the burden we worship leaders carry. Sure, I want to help pastor my people into a sound, Biblical understanding of what worship is supposed to be. (As best as I can tell myself!)

But if they don't...if they love everything I do...then what kind of responsibility do I bear?

Don't I shoulder the gargantuan responsibility now of making sure that the prayers that I put into their mouths are worthy and honorable ones? I think so. And I think that there are scores of worship leaders all over the world who never even give 1 thought to this concept. I think there are thousands of us out there with little to no appreciation for the staggering privilege and risk we have in leading these children of God in worship and fellowship.

It's not about plugging four Passion songs into a song list. It's not about learning an Integrity record cold so your band sounds like the house band for Bishop T.D. Jakes.

It's about thinking long and hard before you make a song list. It's not about praying "O, God, please magically appear and tell me what songs to do..."

It's about walking with the Father, understanding the doctrine of worship and the language of praise and then applying that stewardship to your catalog of tunes, prayers, creeds to pick those which will best communicate truths about God that His children must hear.

Come on, WL's...get in the game. We need you using your head, not just your headphones.

1 comments:

Jinx said...

Word homey...but sadly enough the "big-market-mega-hit-worship-machine" is too powerful and influencial on people today. I don't see it changing one bit...not until the "big-market-mega-hit-worship-machine" changes, at least. That's what the mass Christian public wants, that's what the mass Christian public buys...so that's what they will think they want to hear in worship. As sad as it is, not everyone in the church cares about the meaning behind words, especially in songs.