BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 05, 2010

The Trouble With Twilight...

You may know that I've been reading the Twilight saga. I'm usually a sucker for books that have huge followings and once my wife got into this romantic series, I had to join her.

Kristen and I have had many discussions about the books and the movies (so far.) These talks usually end up being very fun and interesting. We couldn't be any more opposite in our viewpoint on the books, but at least we're talking something other than kids or work-related stress.

As I've read the books, though, something's been bothering me. It's been nagging at me for awhile, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. While finishing up the book series, though, it started to come clearer. And I think I've found the trouble with this best-selling book series. Ready?

IT ISN'T ABOUT LOVE.

It's a story about a version of love, but it's not about real love. The problem is this fate-as-the-centerpiece of this story. Bella and Edward are destined to be together. It pains them to be a part...they don't understand it, but they are drawn to each other by an irresistible force.

Most of us have felt attraction at one time or the other. We've probably all experienced that feeling of being drawn to someone for various reasons.

But love's more than that.

And love's harder than that.

It's distressing that we've put a collection of books into the hands of girls and women across America that focuses zero energy on commitment. Read the books - you won't find a message about remaining faithful in strife or loving the other person when they've done something truly unlovable.

My daughter is four-years old and I can honestly tell you that she's already a romantic. It's great - it's one of the things I love about her. But I can't have Finley growing up thinking of love as a cosmic lightning bolt that strikes and vibrates hearts for eternity. I want her to experience the wonder and awe of finding the person God sends her, but I also want her to understand that love stays. Love fights. Sure, it's fights enemies, but more often, it fights to survive and thrive and that's the love story most of us find ourselves in: full of reward, but hard work.

It's just a fiction series, I know, and I've enjoyed reading it, but these narratives shape us, sometimes in ways we don't even notice. I guess I'm happy for Edward & Bella, but they truly are the most fictional love story we've seen a long time.

And I like the real thing much, much better.

4 comments:

Chad said...

I hear what you're saying and would agree it's a tragedy in almost all pop culture circles. On another note, I thought Andrew Osenga's review of the first book at The Rabbit Room was hilarious.

http://www.rabbitroom.com/?p=1241

Johnny! said...

It isn't about love, it's about a foolish girl's obsession with a dangerous outsider who wants to hurt her. Yeah, that's a real healthy thing to get young girls into.

Liz said...

I have been thinking about reading the series lately....and I've wondered about how I'd feel about them. Now I'm curious. I'll let ya know.

Robert Conn said...

not to mention... it's horrible writing.