BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

BOOKS I'M READING!

Trying to work through a few different books right now. I normally don't read 3 books at once because I'm not smart enough to do that. I keep bouncing from book to book lately. I think I probably ought to focus on just one, but I thought I'd share and see if you guys knew anything about these books or had thoughts about them.

Flickering Pixels (Shane Hipps)
I had read a few ads for this, then caught an article written by this guy in a magazine, so I figured I'd pick it up. So far, I've liked it, but it's a slow read. A friend who read it tried to wave me off on it, but I'm trying to finish it and make my own judgment about it. It does look like Hipps is arguing for a medium-is-the-message idea h ere, which I personally don't agree with. However, it's too early to tell.

One cool thing about this book is the use of imagery. As Hipps takes us through different modes of media/communication, he often will include pictures/diagrams to support what he's saying. It helps a pretty thick text come alive.

My feelings on this book remain to be seen. Anybody else read it?



Forgotten God (Francis Chan) I've never read any of Chan's stuff. I've liked what I've heard/seen through some conference and church videos.

As a worship leader, I'm always interested in seeing what scripture says about the Holy Spirit. In the worship world, I think God's Spirit has been really misunderstood, abused, denied, etc. I'm hoping this book will help me be clear on what God's Word has to say.

This one started slow for me, but I'm digging into now.

Who's reading this one?




Cod (Mark Kurlansky) Dan Bolin handed me this book and said, "Do you like to read weird things?"

Dan doesn't know me very well.

I love reading weird things.

So, I'm guessing I'm going to love an entire book about how cod changed the world.

This one will definitely warrant a blog review, huh?

3 comments:

Liz said...

I'm interested in hearing what you think of the Chan book. Larry read Crazy Love way back when it first came out & wasn't particularly enthused by it, so I never read it. He passed it off to someone else either via half.com or bookmooch, so it's long gone. A few months ago I watched several Francis Chan videos on youtube & loved them and asked him if he still had the book. It was already gone, but he tells me that Chan comes across much better in videos...that his writing kinda sucks. So let us know how that one turns out.

Also--the cod one....yeah, definately need a blog post on that.

Laura Carlson said...

I'm reading Chans book right now. Just started last weekend. Not too far into it but am liking what it has to say a lot. I think a lot of times churches are afraid to talk about the HS because it doesn't make much sense and definitely isn't something safe!
Have always been a bug Chan fan, which is the main reason I picked this up. He's definitely a solid guy & has solid discernment on the Word.
Anxious to hear your thoughts.

Laura Carlson said...

I'm reading Chans book right now. Just started last weekend. Not too far into it but am liking what it has to say a lot. I think a lot of times churches are afraid to talk about the HS because it doesn't make much sense and definitely isn't something safe!
Have always been a bug Chan fan, which is the main reason I picked this up. He's definitely a solid guy & has solid discernment on the Word.
Anxious to hear your thoughts.