BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 28, 2009

One of my favorite blogs is written by author Robert Rummel-Hudson. Hudson is the author of Schuyler's Monster: A Father's Journey With His Wordless Daughter.

Hudson's daughter, Schuyler, was diagnosed with Bilateral Perisylvian Polymicrogyria, a disease that left Schuyler unable to speak. Robert has written extensively about his daughter, the enormous stress of keeping a family together through such a horrific experience and his own reactions to the world as Schuyler becomes more and more engaged in culture.

I love Robert's blog, Fighting Monsters With Rubber Swords. In addition to documenting Schuyler's challenges and victories, he also blogs a good bit about his travels as an author and what he continues to learn as a dad.

For quite some time, Schuyler has used the "Big Box of Words," a device that allows her to communicate with the world. If I understand the timeline, she's had this same blue talking computer for a long time. Not long ago, Robert began to talk about the new BBoW that Schuyler would be getting. And two days ago, she got it...




I don't know the Hudson family personally. But I sure am pulling for them! I've been very impressed with how they've shared Schuyler's story with the world.

1 comments:

Brian Boatman said...

What a beautiful little girl, who looks to be surrounded by love. As a father I'm left with two thoughts: 1) How thankful I am for so many things I take for granted with my son, Luc. 2) How I can only hope that I surround him with as much love and that he radiates it as beautifully as Schuyler.