BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 19, 2008

SKRIBIT WEEK #7

WHAT DO YOU NOT KNOW?
AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU DON'T KNOW IT?
HOW WILL YOU OVERCOME THIS?

Oh, good grief...now, this is a question. Or three, actually.

Well, Artie, (I love that Artie has a skribit account so I can always see which suggestions are his. Love that!) there are tons of things I don't know. Let me list just a few...

1. How to play the banjo.
2. How to fix a car.
3. How to connect relationally to a whole new church body.
4. How to setup podcasting.
5. How to make time for songwriting.
6. How to go to bed early.

Now, I know that I don't know these things because they are all things that I've tried...and failed.
This is a unique glimpse into my personality.
Unfortunately, I tend to be a guy who walks around thinking,
"I can do this. It's not that hard. I can do this."

Hopefully, I hide this well. Because people who don't hide it usually come off as arrogant, which I can assure is definitely not something I want to see happen.
Because of this confidence, I tend to try a lot of stuff my own.
And usually, I crash and burn.
That's how I know I can't do these things (and lots of others.)

I think there are a few ways to overcome this sort of thing...

First off...research and hard work. The fact is that if I'll make time to educate myself or mentor under somebody who's way better than me, I can learn stuff that will help me.

Secondly...be smart. There are some things in life that I'm going to be able to "get."
And there are some things that are just better left to the professionals.
Learning this difference is a great way I can prevent myself from unnecessary stress.

Third...learn to trust. It shouldn't surprise me that there's stuff I can't do.
But it does.
Remembering and disciplining myself to place my trust in the Father is the only way I'm going to survive some of these things. This is why God's kids tend to respond so strongly to songs and sermons and encouragements about God being our "shield" and "portion."

The fact is that, deep down, we know we're not enough. We know we're drowning in a sea of responsibilities and desires and callings and we simply are not strong enough to survive them.
So we learn to trust and we trust that God will teach us and empower us to do life in a way that honors him.

0 comments: