BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 29, 2008

Skribit Friday....

"How are you and the family feeling about leaving Lufkin?"
Well...it's weird. While we're very excited about this new phase of our lives, we're also dreading leaving family and friends. As many of you know, both my parents and Kristen's family live in Lufkin. All this back and forth to Tyler has shown us truly "easy" the Tyler drive is, but it's still a big step for us. Our families are excited for us...of course, they tend to hear all about our church work (good and bad!) and they're excited at the new opportunities that Bethel will give us.

"Who will you root for - John Tyler or Tyler Lee?"
It's obvious that this question came from somebody who doesn't know me all too well. (Or maybe they do and they're trying to get me ranting. That would be clever...)

Let me say this - I hail from Lufkin, Texas, okay? A place that is NUTS about high school sports. (And primarily, high school football.) And I'm not joking when I say that I think the community of Lufkin sometimes borders on idolatry regarding the Panthers. I'm serious...I realize I might get slammed for this, but I always get worried when a town starts to worship at the altar of high school sports. It bugs me, okay? So, I'm inclined to devote my energies elsewhere.

In addition to that, I don't like football or baseball or soccer. So, if JT or TL have some rocking basketball or tennis teams, I'm all in. If not...I'll be at home on the weekends, watching Battlestar Galactica. Or blogging.

Probably blogging.

I don't imagine I'll root for anybody. (Hope that's okay, Tyler folks!)

"Living in Tyler..."
We've found a house in Flint, about six or seven minutes from the church. We weren't necessarily looking for something out-of-town, but we like the area and we dig the house. We'll be moving on Monday, September 1!

1 comments:

Artie said...

" the community of Lufkin sometimes borders on idolatry regarding the Panthers"

Sometimes???

Borders on???

Wow you don't go to the games..

I didn't grow up here and for the first several years we didn't go to the games.. work was always in the way..

Then I started going to the playoff games the year we won state..

I can still remember..travelling to Houston for the state championship..in a caravan.. Clay Walker and myself having our heads painted and being crazy..

Then watching the movie Friday Night Lights a few years later and realizing...Wow, I live there.. in that place in the movie.. they don't call it Odessa.. they call it Lufkin..but it's the same place.

You understate this community's infatuation with High School Football.