BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Worship Talk...

You know what drives me crazy?

Finding a worship song with amazing melody, arrangement, instrumentation and lyrics that make absolutely no sense.

Seems like a bit of an epidemic...I have no idea if other folks do this, but in all honesty, there have been times in my life where its been very hard to pass on a song that is cool in all the ways except one. I'll admit it - I've done it. I've picked songs because they're so much fun to sing or so memorable or rockin' or whatever, fully knowing that the lyrics are sub-par. I haven't done it in awhile, but it's still hard to find songs that just are strong lyrically as they are musically.

What about you? Ever found yourself loving a worship tune and then realizing the lyrics aren't actually good, or even correct?

Ever wanted to use a song in worship knowing you're putting something out there that's more style than substance?

Thoughts? If something in me loves all the elements in a song except the lyrics, does that still mean it's a good song? How much do lyrics "weigh?"

2 comments:

Robert Conn said...

I'm not a worship leader so keep that in mind.

But, when you lead are you trying to communicate certain aspects of the song to the audience? Like, "I hope they see THIS in this particular song" or "I hope they walk away from this one knowing THIS." ? Honest question.

If that is the case, I think that is a lot of pressure to put on any one song (read songwriter). It has to be a hard thing to sit down and write a song which is strong ALL across the board (lyrics, melody, rocking, driving, soul-changing, easy to learn, catchy, memorable, etc.)

However, it does seem like if you're going to err in one area or another that lyrics would not be your first option. It seems like you would want to make that a given cornerstone of the song. Not sure.

Like I said, I'm not a WL but I can see similarities in other aspects of the ministry.

Artie said...

I recognize what you are saying. I also feel that sometimes energy is more important than message in a song. What is the tone of worship this week? What is going on in the church? Are we doing some specific thing that day? Have I even received a scripture or sermon title from the pastor at noon on Wednesday with practice 6 hours away? Taking in to account these things and the things I don't have impact selection. If I choose a song that doesn't really do it for me in the content way I still let go and have a good time. I embrace it for what it is and enjoy it.

Taking it another step I get more frustrated with the fact that most of the music that is out there is all about me and God. Or all about God.. and me and how I have a relationship with God, or it's not what it should be. I really wish we had more music like "To Every Nation" or Let it Come" or even songs like "A New Law" by Derek Webb. How we as agents of God are to impact the world around us and have God's will on earth as it is in heaven. How God's presence can be found everywhere and how the brain that God gave us can be used to think.