BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

HOW CAN I GO ON?


First of all, let me thank everyone for their contributions to the Derek Webb discussion. All joking aside, I think it's important for people who like each other to talk about art and music and religion in a setting that's safe. I don't know that my opinion has changed about Derek's music, but that's okay. There's plenty music for everybody.

However, this Derek Webb discussion has highlighted another aspect of my own personality/existence that I am finding increasingly disturbing.

I don't like coffee.
I'm ashamed of myself. I've tried, guys, and - well, it disgusts me.
Here's the problem - if I don't like Derek Webb and I don't like coffee, can I . . . I mean, is there any way for me to . . .
How can I be a cool minister in the millenium if I don't like Derek Webb or coffee?
Can someone out there give me an answer? Is there anything I can do to prove to people that I'm authentic, that I'm all about community, that I love asking questions and joining others on the journey to true, authentic, communal, (insert cool modern-day Christian trait here) life?

Help me.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I have tried coffe in all its forms and flavors, and I can't stand it. I have never had more than a few sips of the stuff ever. It's gross. I do really like the smell of it though.

Danielle said...

I also really hate coffee. I also really like the smell.

Robert Conn said...

As I sip my own homebrew I come in on the other end of the spectrum. I like coffee. Shelly would say that I'm addicted. Not really, I only drink it in the evenings to study and read, and then sometimes in the morning, and oh sometimes when taking a shower, and there was that one time I should have been watching the girls. But other than that I don't drink it much.

A few things though...
1) I only drink free Starbucks coffee. I refuse to pay for coffee that I have to order extra hot.
2) I'm not man enough to drink black coffee. Apparently I (like my women) with a little French Vanilla creamer in them. Coffee drinkers will get that joke.
3) The more you drink coffee, the more you love the smell!

Robert Conn said...

Funny sidenote:

Derek Webb has a song on an early cd called, "I Just Don't Want Coffee"

Jason Fullen said...

Funny side note Rob!

Todd, my only advice for you in order to save face, is to develop an allergy to coffee. This way when people ask, (and they will ask, because all of us addicted coffee drinkers want to try and identify with other people that are foolish enough to pay $5 for a cup of "coffee" that contains a lot of flavor with the least being coffee and try and understand how we ended up so trapped?) you will be able to give a credible excuse. Not liking cofee/starbucks is not going to bode well with your parishners (sp?). However, the alternative is to tell them you don't like coffee and this is you first attempt at authenticity.

Rachel said...

I love the froo, froo coffees. Can't drink the black stuff. I need soy milk and sugar, at least.

I did get tired of the mid-morning headache so I weaned myself off the caffeine. I truly drink the stuff for the taste, not the drug.

I sure could go for a cup right now. The weather is beginning to feel like fall and it is drizzling outside. Ahh, the perfect weather for a perfect cup of Joe.

Romack said...

I am along the lines with Rob - though I don't drink it often. I've only bought the cheap Foldger's and use some French vanilla creamer. It's good, but, I am not obsessed over it.

I've tried several things at Starbucks, and some are better than others, but I just don't get overly excited about coffee.

The scent of coffee is a different story. I bought one of the cheap coffee makers at Wal-Mart and I got some coffee and made it every morning just to wake myself up. I drank it sometimes, but the scent alone got me wide awake.

Angela said...

I only like coffee for wimps--cold and ultra sweet. Starbucks is nice, but I rarely am able to justify spending the money.

brittany said...

not a big fan of coffee myself either...i've got some funny stories about how I avoided coffee at all costs in Brazil...both years... when I go to starbucks, I get hot chocolate.