BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

What's In A Name?

Hi. I just want to throw this out there. Not necessarily because any of my readers have done it, but what good is a blog if you can’t get a little made every once in awhile, right?

So here it is – here’s the big lesson. Here’s the big tip from Todd to the world, okay?

The next time you ask a mother or father-to be what they’re going to name their child, you say you like it. Even if you don’t.

Don’t look at us disgusted. Don’t simply repeat the name and change the subject. Don’t sit there in complete silence.

If you’re a parent, you know this. You spend hours thinking about names, trying your best to discover who this child is. After all of that reading, all that remembering of family names, all that discussion between a husband and wife about how excited they are to have a child, you want people to celebrate with you. You want people to respect you.

Do you know how many stupid names I’ve heard over the years? Hundreds. One time a friend of mine decided he was gonna’ name his kid “Jotham.” Yeah, Jotham. Ever heard that one? Well, me neither. But you know what I did when he asked me if I liked it.

I said yes. Why? Because having a child – creating a life – is one of the most wondrous experiences a person can have. Who am I to criticize how a person chooses to celebrate one God’s most amazing gifts?

If you’re prepared to ask what names we like, then be prepared to lie.
If you’re not capable of that, mind your own business.

0 comments: