BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 16, 2007

post secret

I can honestly say that I'm not trying deride or criticize here - I would sincerely like to hear what you all have to say on the subject...



Why link to Post Secret?

I've been to the site a few times, but I find it so upsetting. Sure, there are occasionally funny or interesting things on the site, but I just can't read it without getting depressed.

I'm having trouble understanding why I might want to share this relatively "dark" site with others. Thinking it through, I imagine there are a few possible reasons for wanting to promote it:

1. To give people hope - there is a place where they can let their secrets out?
2. To show people how dark life is for so many people out there?
3. Sheer voyeuristic tendencies?

I know some of you link to the Post Secret and I would love to get your reasons behind doing so. (If you're willing to share.)

For those of you who don't link to the site, I'd still like to know your feelings on Post Secret and it's effect on popular culture.

3 comments:

Johnny! said...

It's confession with anonymity, which makes it not confessing at all. It requires no repentance. It requires no accountability. It's an attempt to have humanist cake and eat it too. It's a form of religion without the power thereof.

And stuff like that.

Susie Moore said...

I link to post secret. I just think it is a very interesting website. Such a simple idea/social experiment that has become something that connects countless numbers of people around the world. Although I have a love/hate thing with the site. I love that it gives people a place to reveal parts of themselves that they feel they cant share elsewhere (something that I feel like wouldnt have to happen if the church did what the church was intended to do) but I hate it because I also feel like it doesnt offer anything greater than just getting something off your chest. People put their secret out there and are not offered any greater hope. I think we as Christians can use things like Post Secret to spark conversations that DO point to a greater hope.

Amy said...

Good thoughts, Susie. The post secret address is only about 30 miles from my house. Maybe I'll go find that mail box.