BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hope for the Future, Part II

Man, I love reading all the stuff you guys are saying about this idea of "event worship." I was pretty encouraged by the comment Ross made with regard to posting these more serious, worship-related items. Point taken, Mr. King. You are fanning a very dangerous flame, my friend! Now, to the main reason I even starting writing this thing.

If you'll scroll down, you'll see that I kicked this thing off talking about young worship leaders. I started leading worship at the age of 14. It might be more accurately termed "song-leading," but I was making the attempt at least. During that time in my life, in East Texas, there was little in the way of worship training. Occasionally, a seminar might come close to town or I'd get my hands on a book or two. I was desperate for anything worship-related. To be honest, I wanted worship that rocked quite a bit harder than the old school hymns we sang in my childhood church. (Now, of course, I find myself singing those old hymns more and more.)

After two or three years, the worship revolution made its way to Texas and finally, I was able to see "contemporary worship." I devoured it. I swallowed whatever the Christian-market-machine wanted to feed me. And the truth is that I got some good stuff. While the Christian entertainment industry gets taken to task quite often, I must say that I learned a great deal of good, helpful information from Christian marketing.

But as worship got bigger, better and sexier, I started learning things that weren't good for me. I learned that to have true celebration, you had to do songs that commanded people to jump. I learned that I should learn the top 5 most popular songs and do them in the same order of every set. I learned to judge the success or failure of my sets based on how many people closed their eyes or lifted their hands. I'm sad to say that I thought this for way too long.

But, the plain truth is that I had nobody standing alongside me saying things like...
"You know, Todd, that lyric doesn't really even make sense."
"That melody is way too high for people to sing."
Or...
"You don't have to do all your own songs, big guy."

I've been privileged that in my small bit of musical-travels, I've come into contact with lots of young worship leaders, and I must say that I am continually encouraged. I see kids struggling to understand how to use their music, their minds and their Bible in worship! Sure, there are going to be glorified Christian cover bands - who knows, maybe we need them? But I'm here to tell you that things look good for the ministry of worship. But it's not gonna' happen without you or me.

I don't care if you run sound or lead worship or play drums or write poetry or whatever. Those of us who've done this for a long time have got to carve out time to find young ministers and invest our lives into them. We've got to be careful as we attempt to be honest without becoming condescending.

So...if you had a young bass player/drummer/singer/worship leader/writer/sound engineer in front of you, what would you say to them?

8 comments:

Johnny! said...

First? I'd say copy out Deuteronomy into a notebook. Then Hebrews. Memorize the Nicaean Creed. Then we'd be ready to begin with the fundamentals necessary to even begin to talk about worship.

:)

Robert Conn said...

This is an interesting question for sure. Very similar to what I experience in Youth Ministry. I find myself staring at several kids on a weekly basis wondering "how can I teach them all I know?" However far too often I forget that I am where I am today because of several struggles, victories, heartaches, championship moments, sleepless nights, joyous mornings, and endless prayers and thoughts about life.

While I still try to communicate the truths I have come to understand ultimately I know that most of them will not listen or even understand where I'm coming from. They must learn on their own, they must struggle and work out their own salvation.

But should I just leave them alone to fend for themselves? By no means... Had I had someone investing in me like I'm trying to do I might have learned those lessons sooner.

Todd Wright said...

In case you all didn't know, Johnny's hardcore, man.

Johnny! said...

Dude, that ain't hardcore...that's us needing to play catch-up.

Ffdskl Edhchgerg said...

I would have had them read Song of Songs and the Psalms but those are good starting points too.

But if I just got off stage from playin' some wicked upside down bass and a kid came up to me and said that he was interested in playing bass in a praise band, what would (should) I say?

"That's awesome! God really loves to watch and hear us use our talents to help people worship Him!"

If I had the time I'd talk about how I started playin' with the Todd Wright band and how you should always ask to get paid in cash and how IHOP will become your second home... if there's time.

Todd Wright said...

Okay...most of you wiseacres aren't giving me very practical info.

C'mon - what do you wish somebody had told you!

Carlos said...

I would tell them to not listen to anything I have to say. Then tell them to stop playing acoustic guitar.

Unknown said...

I would have to say from the sound engineer perspective to not think they are an expert at 25! Keep learning! So many technicians think that because they can set levels that they are mixing. It is a must that you continue to learn new things about your board, effects rack, compressors, delays, eq bands, gating and on and on! Keep practicing. Also, know your music. Hit your cues, on time! Dont miss that electric solo, or vocal change! That takes practice and eagerness to learn the music!