BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 25, 2005

I'm going to have to be careful here. I got this thing that's weighing on my mind, and I need to put it out there. However, it's one of those things that has the potential to offend. While I completely appreciate the fact that are times when people willingly offend (Neil McClendon,) this is not one of those times. This is one of those times where a particular comment has sparked a line of thought in me. My comments below are not so much a response to the comment as merely the product of the analysis the comment created.

I've been hearing this phrase a lot - "He's one of the best worship writers around right now." Recently I've been hearing that about David Crowder. I am certainly not a die-hard David Crowder fan, but I do think the guy is a straight-up genius. There. I've said it.

But when we say "he/she's one of the best," what we're really saying is that he/she is creating something that speaks to me more than anyone else. That's an okay thing. You see, I can say that I think Paul Baloche is the best worship songwriter around. But is he? I don't know. I just know that of all the worship I listen to, his music moves me the most.

As someone who writes songs for worship, comments like "he's the best around" bother me. Why?

When I write a song for worship, here's what I'm thinking.

  • Is the line of thought clear? Am I sticking to one specific idea?
  • Am I saying this in a fresh way?
  • Can other people use this song in worship?

A great deal of the worship I hear today fails in at least one of these concepts of mine. It's awesome to listen to...but is it a resource? Can a guy who doesn't know many chords on his guitar do it? Can a drummer with meter problems hold this song down? Can it be done at my church w/o 4 synths, 2 loops and 3 electric overdubs?

David Crowder, Charlie Hall, United Live - they all write songs that I love to turn up and sing along with. If I'm moved to worship, then yeah, they've written a "good worship song." But there's a second dynamic and/or calling involved with writing worship songs - can the church body at large let these songs impact their individual congregations?

Those of us who write worship songs should take note:

You can impact people with your songs and never once write anything that can be shared with those who also lead Christ's body in songs of adoration.

2 comments:

Tevi said...

I do say you have some nice comments on here. But to keep with the topic, I too love David Crowder, but his lyrics arn't the strongest out there. I mean you can have the best band around(DCB) and still not move people closer to God, and I believe that is a waste. One person I love and believe writes the best lyrics is Matt Redman. Now I know his music isn't very strong, but his words are so impacting. In my opinion I would rather worship to a song that touches my soul and pushes me onward to God then to jump around and listen to some totally awesome guitar solo ya know? I totally feel ya on this one though. Good post. hough. Good post.

Romack said...

David Crowder Band is good. I have never really found MUCH of his stuff as a resource for our team though. I think Matt Redmann is definately good, and I think musically he is as well. I agree that Baloche is one of the better ones. I don't say best, because, it is an OPINION. Baloche is a wonderful teacher. He breaks worship apart and though it is not something you can be taught, you can learn why we worship, and what we should avoid when leading worship. I believe Paul illustrates this through his music and video ministries. Simply opinions though...