BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

God is Doin' a Nu Thang

Here's what bugs me about watching TBN - why is God always "about" to bring us into a wealthy place? Why is every sermon based on the idea that the hard times are over and that our Spirits are leaping within us because He's about to drop life changing revelation into our lives.

What if the hard times are just beginning? Why is it that I never see a preacher on TBN exploring the nature of suffering and how we continue to honor God in the midst of it. It seems to me that the TBN theology of suffering is simple. You get through suffering by knowing that it will end. And it will. I think God's Word is very clear that when we meet Him in the Palaces of His Eternal Home, all suffering will end. But that's not what these TBN guys are talking about. They want me to endure the suffering because in a matter of days and months or (heaven forbid) years, the suffering will be over and I will be dancing for joy.

Great! It's gonna' be over! Fantastic! But what if it comes back? TBN doesn't like suffering. It's not good TV, I guess. But the fact is that suffering is a part of life, and when we finally realize that the Father's wisdom is higher than our own, then we are content with where He wants us to be.


I have to be aware that I may suffer until my dying day. But if I am faithful and sincerely joyful in that awareness, then my life is speaking of the great faithfullness of God. I have seen His wisdom and providence so much that I know He is still good in the midst of suffering.

But I guess the "new day" sermon is a great segue to the "send money" plea.

0 comments: