BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kristen Wright, 1/26

Marriage surprises.

We spend our teenage and young adult years with some notion of what "forever" with someone else will be like, but we don't really know. It's a guessing game and one that's usually overshadowed by our own selfishness.

When we're young, there's probably no more important day that your birthday. It's not a holiday intended for any body else...it's yours. Your day.

And then you show up at a church to play your acoustic guitar and why, there's Kristen Carnley singing on stage and you think, holy cow, that girl is beautiful and you're shy and awkward while trying to make sure she knows you're really awesome and worthy of her attention.

And suddenly, all of those days that seem so important - those self-centric, ego driven highlights of your own year - are eclipsed. And you realize...maybe for the first time ever...that there's somebody way more fantastic than you. And you want to spend time with that person no matter what. You'll go without sleep, you'll stay on the phone, you'll drive forty minutes to see her for five, and you'll do all of that willingly. Because by God's kindness, you've found The One.

Kristen, you are my One. My God-ordained partner in life and laughter and trial. And by His kindness, my life isn't about just my days any more. Now, my year is built on other days and even when those days center around Jonah and Finley, I know that those kids are there because God made you mine.

When we were married, you found a verse that you knew had to be in our vows:

Hosea 2:19 - "And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy."

We didn't use that verse because it regarded marriage and love. We used it because it was God's heart. It was the picture of His faithfulness.

I couldn't be happier to center my life around you and days like this. It's my privilege and it's a gift from our great God - who keeps His promises.

1 comments:

Liz said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sweet wife! God bless! And happy birthday Kristen!