BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 28, 2010

NEW PROJECT...maybe

Every year, around this time of year, I remember it:
National Novel Writing Month.

In the month of November, people across the world join this online community and endeavor to write their own novels within one month.

There are numerous aspects to the project. You can join the site and submit pages, tracking your progress along with others, connect with other local writers-to-be, and receive cool "pep talks" from successful authors.

I've wanted to write a book my whole life and I've looked longingly at "NaNoWriMo" for the past couple of years. But I'm afraid. Let me explain...

For me, life works best when I have a system. Having some sense of order and organization frees me up to indulge my creativity and still enjoy random, dumb stuff that I like. Normally, in addition to work and family, I try to run consistently each week (and blog about it), vlog 2-3 times a week and I'm writing one worship song a month. I'm also on Facebook and Twitter.

So, the concept of writing a 50,000 word novel in 30-days is a little daunting. The sheer volume of the work will necessitate scaling back some of the current "fun" stuff for this new, other fun stuff. The only person that affects is me, because about halfway through November, I'm going to want to quit. But 2010 has been all about endurance for me - setting some goals and chasing after them as hard as a I can.

I'm afraid to write a novel in one month.

So that's exactly why I'm going to do it.

0 comments: