BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

So I've got a lunch meeting in a few weeks with a guy from Tyler (he's coming here.) He emails me to see if I can tell him a local wi/fi place where he might could do some work in the morning before we go to lunch.

Now, my first guess is Starbucks...I don't know why, it just is. So I asked Robert and Jason. I don't know, they say. So after the kids go to bed last night, Jason, Robert and I go to Starbucks.

I order my hot chocolate (because I can't stand coffee) and the three of us settle into soft chairs in a dimly lit corner. Jason steps up to get his drink and I ask him to find out about wi/fi. So he asks. And what happens next still has me reeling. (I'm not going to quote the employee, but here's the overall theme of his response.

"Nah. We were supposed to, but corporate decided not to."

Look...I hold no illusions about Starbucks...I know it is a corporation. A big corporation. But I look around and I think, these guys aren't selling coffee. They're selling community. That's why we're here. My friends and I want to hang out.

But how the heck does Starbucks survive when all of us "millenials" are so good at spoting fakes?

Why is it that we are first to start griping when churches seem fake, yet we buy the Starbucks experience hook, line, sinker?

You can sell an experience. You just gotta' know what you're doing.

Right?

1 comments:

Romack said...

Didn't Blake Stewart say Whataburger had wi-fi? Check it out!