BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 20, 2005

New Easter Shirt

So I'm out w/ Jonah and Krist today and Kristen starts asking me what we're going to do about "Easter clothes."

I hate the idea of "Easter Clothes." Don't get me wrong - I like a new pair of pants as much as the next guy. Matter of fact, found a nice new shirt for Easter Sunday. So did Jonah. Gotta' love Old Navy, man.

I think it's the whole thing of needing clothes for Easter. What's the deal there? As I minister, am I supposed to already know where the idea came from? I mean, if I let my mind run wild, I can see how someone could say that buying and wearing new clothes on the big Day could symbolize new life - putting on robes of righteousness - that kind of thing.

In fact, I think I can even see where it makes sense for those who pretty much attend church just on Easter. It seems natural - somebody who hasn't been to church in awhile looks forward to this thing - they want to look nice. Nothing wrong with that. But like most everything else, this little unique thing about this particluar day (New clothes on Easter) is becoming too big of a deal. When I was a teenager, this guy at my church who loved God and who was passionate about worship told me that he purposely dressed down on Easter Sunday. I guess he was rebelling against the whole idea. But you know what happened?


Instead of people saying to themselves,
"Tim sure is casual this Easter," it ended up offending them.
"Well, look! Tim is just trying to go against the grain."

Maybe I'm overthinking the Easter shirt. (I do look good in it.) But is this what I should be stressing over a week before Easter?

Listen, Easter isn't just another Sunday. It's a big day. It deserves thought, and preparation and giving. I just don't know that it should be thoughts about what size looks best, preparation of ironing and giving the 17 year-old at the counter a crisp $20.

If you're at Lufkin's First Methodist on Easter Sunday this year, you'll see me sporting my khakis and that cool blue linen shirt. But hopefully you'll find my mind and heart focused on something else entirely.



1 comments:

Todd Wright said...

Todd you are an unusually brilliant man.