BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 03, 2007

The Countdown

I must say that I was very interested to read all of your responses to my post that countdown videos were "lame." As I mentioned in the comment thread, I have a theory about countdown videos, and truth be told, many of you hit on the exact same thoughts I have about this recent cultural trend.

1. Countdown videos often serve as even more evidence of a the American church's fascination with "event." Say what you will about these little videos helping a service to start on time or making sure a crowd gets in their seat promptly, but I believe that's not the principle reason we use them. We use them to build excitement...we use them so that there's a level of expectation in the room. But like my buddy Robert said, we do a really bad job of living up to the excitement promised by a countdown. In almost every instance I've seen a countdown used, it's countdown to....a song. I've never seen a countdown video lead up to a drama or a video or a pyrotechnic display. And for those of us who use them every week, we lose a little surprise when we countdown to the same thing every week.

But it's not just an issue of dynamics. Not only do these things to to fall short from a purely theatrical standpoint, but I'm not sure it's ever a good thing to support a concept that worship - this holy, sacred, powerful thing - is JUST ABOUT TO START!

I realize that there are certain demographic groups, churches and regions of the country where church almost has to be an event to compete for the attentions of its congregants, but as a worship leader, I hate the idea of "counting down" to worship. Personally, I feel that my job as a worship leader is not to blow people's minds, but rather pastor them and lead them in a corporate time of focusing on the Father. I like the idea of being a rock star as much as anybody else; I guess I'm not just totally convinced I'm supposed to be doing it when I lead worship.

2. I think countdowns are being used poorly, but I think they can still work. I think by eliminating the "zero" factor (i.e., counting down all the way to zero,) we can do a better job of getting people into their seats (which is why most of us SAY we're doing them) and build some excitement without turning church into a show.

Imagine a countdown video stopping at a minute out. Would that be so terrible? Or would it be a balance of both worlds - the anticipation of something good alongside the recognition of the fact that we're just normal folks gathering to honor God with our praise?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be honest - I'm always gonna' be the guy who's apprehensive of things that the church-at-large simply swallows whole from the coolest conference, website or magazine without really thinking it through to make sure it's going to bless the people. Big shocker, huh? Imagine it!

I've got to approach this calling, this job one element at a time. I've got to use the mind God gave me, the words He said and the awareness of my people to judge these things - not to just accept them, not to reject them outright, but to dig into them, see what it is they're supposed to do and whether or not I can make that happen.

6 comments:

Johnny! said...

I wonder how many would feel a let down if the countdown resolved to a prayer rather than a big song.

Or how about to a corporate confession of sin?

To the extent that people would feel a let down, the underlying problem is apparent.

Ffdskl Edhchgerg said...

Johnny hit on something that I've been thinking about -- in a contemporary service why do we have to start with an upbeat song? My heart and mind are almost never ready when we sing the first song (and I don't think I'm alone) -- Why not start with prayer, or silence?

I wonder what the countdown videos would look like for that haha.

Unknown said...

it's probably a good thing todd and I see things along the same lines when it comes to countdowns and moving backgrounds (oops, did i out todd on the backgrounds?).
i'm not saying countdowns have no place. i am saying that i'm weary of fill in the blank planning. stay with me...i love ritual when it is a passionate means to the end of worship. countdown clocks, bands, speakers, power point games can do as much to distract from God as connect us to Him.

Johnny! said...

Liturgy/ritual is inescapable. The mindset behind the structuring of it is key.

The question I'm always asking is, "What are we doing?" In this case, what is the countdown for? To let people know when the service begins? To whip them up emotionally? To let them know how much time they have to pray and prepare for worship?

What reasons do y'all come across? Or, are any of the countdowns in our experience actually that thought out? We have a very practical reason for ringing the Church bell, but a very spiritual one for why we ring it early.

Robert Conn said...

They only work on America, and maybe the UK. I mean try using one of these in Brazil and you'll get laughed at. Try one in Guatemala and 30 minutes 'after' zero your crowd will finally show up. Time is not as stressed in other cultures like it is here. Church starts when everyone arrives not when the bobble-head on stage says it starts. Countdowns can be cool but look at where they came from: sporting events, secular concerts, and the like. We've stolen yet another idea from the world and developed our own theology around it.

I think we should all take a few weeks and fast from countdowns, powerpoint, and light shows. Not because they are evil (they're not). Not because the old way was better (it wasn't... thank God for projectors). Not because Paul never used countdowns (I'm sure he might have tried them if they were available). But rather so we can remind ourselves that it's just not about that stuff. Sure it helps, but if it gets in the way, or takes precedence to seeking Christ, then we should examine our entire set list.

blake stewart said...

my set list is lookin pretty good robert...