BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Something You Might Not Know

My dad was a deer hunter.
Big time.
I didn't enjoy hunting all that much, but I did go with him whenever I could, just to spend time with him. (I stopped hunting at around 15, when I killed an 18-point buck on the last Saturday of deer season.)

Even though I didn't enjoy killing things, I did like camping, eating junk food and spending time with my dad. At around age 10, I found something else I loved about the outdoors.

Archery.

My dad was, of course, a bowhunter, and at a sports show one year, I won a very nice compound bow. I started going with my dad to weekly bow tournaments and occasionally, I fared okay. Trophies didn't matter, though, I just thought shooting a bow was cool.

Since we've living with my in-laws while waiting to move in to the new house, I've been perusing my father-in-law's hunting magazines. Imagine my surprise to find that compound bows don't look like they used to.
They look like this:

When I first saw it, I figured I was seeing a new bowhunting prototype, but it turns out that most of them look like this now.
While I am thouroughly impressed by the overall futuristic nature of this precision killing machine, it does seem a far cry from the simple little wooden weapons in those history-book-drawings-of-Indians, doesn't it?

So, did any of YOU know that bows look like this now?
Do any of you care?

8 comments:

Ffdskl Edhchgerg said...

I worked at Wulf Outdoor Sports in Center for 5 months doing their website. I ALMOST bought a bow (I would have gotten a fat discount) because they indeed looked super cool.

I care Todd, I care...

Robert Conn said...

I once got into archery. I remember my first time to shoot a bow and no one told me to watch the inside of my arm. I let go and yep... scrape all the way down my left arm. Ow!

I never bought a bow though... too much $

Jason Fullen said...

Todd, I for one did not know they had changed that much. I still have my Martin Lynx Magnum my dad got me when I was in 11th(?) grade. I actually do still like to hunt and I have considered getting the bow out and getting back into it. However, I'm a little embarrassed to bring out the now 15 year old bow. It won't look near as cool as the new stuff. Oh, and by my long post you can tell I care.

Jason

Johnny! said...

I had a longbow when I was a kid.

Jinx said...

Yeah, bows are cool, and fun to shoot.

But a gun is so much more efficient...

Shelly Conn said...

O what a sweet trip down memory lane. Alright boys make to work.

Forrest said...

18 point buck....

come on...

Todd Wright said...

For reals...18 points...ask my mom.