BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Maybe some of you retail-savvy folks can help me out on this one:

When I shop at CVS and I take my items up to the register, they ask me if I have a CVS card. Every time. They ask everybody this every time somebody steps up to the register.

When I reply, "No, I don't have a CVS card," they go ahead and input a store card number and give me the discount regardless.

Why? If they want me to have a card, why do they give me the card-benefit for free? I'm working on a few different theories:

1. Everything in the store is automatically priced high so that customers feel that they got a real discount.

2. The card's real benefit is the earning of points or cash or some other accumulating item, so giving me a discount really isn't the point. This way, I'm paying what they want me to pay and not accumulating all sorts of other benefits and blessings.

3. It's psychological - they want me to think that the clerk did me a "solid." They want me to feel like CVS does a great job of doing favors JUST for me. (But I hear them asking everybody in line, so that shoots that theory out of the water...)


Why all the games, CVS?

8 comments:

Jeff said...

I think it's because they hate you Todd. Not me though, I love you.

Angela said...

1.) The employees have to scan a certain percentage (75% I think) of Extra Care cards. If they fail to do that they get yelled at...so instead of bickering with customers who are convinced the government is using the cards to track what they buy, they use the one at the cash register.

2.) The card is for any sales at the store (same as Kroger and PetSmart) and if you use it enough you get coupons for items you normally buy. If you fill out the info for the card CVS can track what you buy and see what is "working" for the company.

3.) The card is another ploy to make you loyal to CVS.

Romack said...

You mean the government doesn't use that information? So those meetings I have been going to have been a big waste of time?????

Robert Conn said...

Wow... a CVS? You guys live in the Big City!

Johnny! said...

Enough of your macho head games, CVS!

Anonymous said...

Todd you R (W)right in all your assertions. (1,2,& 3 especially 3)

Aside #1 Check Belk or Kohl's for living proof of the never ending sale.

Aside #2 Why do you think JC Penney's has become just like the rest of them???

Aside #3 Peace Out!

Todd Wright said...

Is this the Anonymous from MOL world?

Anonymous said...

Yes it is!

Aside #1 Trust your instincts.