BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What Scares Me About Paul McCartney

First things first - let's just come to an agreement. McCartney is an amazing musician. He seems to have a pretty decent head on his shoulders, and minus the worldwide interest in his recent divorce, he often comes off as a pretty normal guy.

But here's what scares about him - Paul's last two or three offerings (Driving Rain, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard and Memory Almost Full) have all received lavish praise. In fact, I think Bono said, upon receiving a grammy for "Atomic Bomb," that Paul's "Chaos" record was the best record of the lot. I'm not a die-hard Beatles fan or even very knowledgeable about McCartney's work, but I think many would agree that he's one of pop music's legendary songwriters.

As I've been digging into Memory Almost Full, I've been hearing some songs that are good, but the fact remains, Paul's songs are not going to be hits anymore, are they? You're not gonna' turn on your local pop station and hear his new single. In fact, I don't even think you're gonna' hear him on some "sunny, light" A/C station.

As a songwriter, this scares me, because it seems that Paul's best work is now behind him. And, if I'm being honest, quite A WAY behind him. It's scary to think that if this guy's writing peaked at 24 (or 32 or 45, considering your point of view,) then it can happen to me, too.

And you, too.

4 comments:

Romack said...

This record will NEVER take off... Abe isn't on drums!

Anonymous said...

Todd this isn't "Paul" related, but Anita was wondering when Homer Blakely was going to post a confessional in full regalia. Did I really just say regalia? We need some photos of the Homer Blakely Experience.

blake stewart said...

you misspelled "hear"...

Todd Wright said...

Thanks, Blake. I'm glad there are guys like you who, instead of actually blogging and presenting anything interesting with the people who respect you, choose rather to use your time to correct spelling errors.

No, don't worry, man. It doesn't make you look like a petty jerk, man. No, no...you don't seem like a geek either.

(I hope I didn't spell something wrong here, but it's okay - my good friend the internet Nerd will notify me of all mistakes.)