BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 26, 2011

6/26/11 @ Bethel Bible Church

Felt a little weird, but I went ahead and scheduled this post before Sunday was even here! Take that, laziness.

While there are currently lots of forums and sites devoted to letting people post their song lists, I always wish there was more there. How did the crowd react? Why sing that song versus this one? How did you connect those songs together?

This type of post is one of those I don't do for other folks to read. (Although it's awesome if they do!) These recap post are more about forcing me to think analytically while I'm leading worship - to hopefully accurately assess the why and the how of worship each week at my church.

COME AND WELCOME (A-B)
This is one of my favorite Indelible Grace tunes. While there are lots of good IG songs, sometimes it takes a little work to find the "celebratory" ones. We let the drum lock in for awhile before we all joined it. Song was strong in both services. Especially loved how closely our percussionist locked in with the drum kit.

Call To Worship
Last week's transition between song one and two felt so connected that I decided to try it again. As we ended "Come and Welcome," one of my guitar players immediately started playing the rhythm part to "Glory To God Forever". Our drummer joined on the floor tom and I read Psalm 26:8-12:
O Lord, I love the habitation of your house and the place where your glory dwells.
Do not sweep my soul away with sinners, nor my life with bloodthirsty men, in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes. But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me. My foot stands on level ground; in the great assembly I will bless the Lord.

GLORY TO GOD FOREVER (B)
We've done this song A LOT. Definitely one of those cases where we're sick of a song but it's still something our folks respond to. The band did a great job...the transition was really good from the first song. I felt like the second set worked a bit smoother, but both were good versions. Without drums and bass locked in on this song, it just doesn't work. Our guys did a great job.

Welcome
Ross stepped up and read from 2 Corinthians 3:4-6:
Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

GREATER THAN WE CAN IMAGINE (A)
This is a Sovereign Grace song that I've wanted to do forever. After Thursday's rehearsal, I was kicking myself because it took me so long to add it! It went so great. SovGrace does a great job of writing songs that are a strong sum of many parts. While no one part is all that complex, combined the songs have a great dynamic build and theologically-rich lyrics. Today was the first time we did this one...the normal bridge has a pretty wild vocal ad-lib that's not very congregational. We opted to simply do a chorus breakdown since it was more singable and it was the first time to do the song.

Prayer
This past week, I figured it would be good for us to think and meditate on what unifies as a church. Since we're prayerfully pursuing church planting this year, I looked around for some good stuff on unity, vision, etc. I went to the Book of Common Prayer, which is rich with prayers and responses. I found a Prayer for Unity, but decided to also reference the "Modern Language" appendix to the BCP. I loved this prayer: O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, our only Saviour, the Prince of Peace; Deliver Your Church, we beg You, from all prejudice and contention, and whatsoever else may hinder us from godly union and concord; That, as there is but one body, and one Spirit, and one hope of our calling; one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of us all, so we may be all of one heart and of one mind, united in one holy bond of truth and peace, of faith and love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

THE CHURCH'S ONE FOUNDATION (E)
Second week to do this one. Again, the band really impressed me with their take on this hymn. There's an interlude in between each verse and my guitarists especially have built a very compelling approach. At the end, we've added a bridge that's commitment-based. We've sing all these things about Christ's church...then we commit to follow Him!

Prayer
Initially, I was worried about praying again. (Lots of times, worship leaders just pray to fill time.) I didn't want it to seem as if I was simply needing a transition. I wasn't going to pray, but during the first set, I just felt led to pray in response to the song we'd just sang. Since the earlier prayer was a read prayer, it was pretty neat to pray after the tune from a personal place.

A THOUSAND GENERATIONS (A)

What better to sing at a time like this, right? God is faithful! Lately, we've experimented with different styles of songs for our last tune. Often, it's a more quiet, reserved song, but this Poythress tune was perfect for where we are as a church.

Sermon
Ross did a great job on the sermon. (He always does!) However, about ten minutes into the sermon during the second service, our fire alarm went off. It was quickly discovered that one of our 4-year olds had activated it. Thankfully, about 50 people came out of the sanctuary to help. (Ha!) Do you know how to turn off a fire alarm? Neither do we. Finally, we rip cables out of the unit to make it stop. Ross waited until the alarm scare was over and recovered pretty well.

A great day to be with God's people, in the unity that Jesus brings!

1 comments:

Liz said...

Ha ha!!! I wondered how y'all got it turned off!