BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Surrender Sound

I heard about Josh Taylor for a couple of years before I met him. Through mutual friends, I kept hearing about this songwriter and worship leader who had a knack for writing captivating melodies and a devotion to make God-exalting music.

Over the past year, I've had the privilege of meeting Josh and getting to see first-hand his dedication to the craft of songwriting. That's why I'm excited to hear his new summer release of worship tunes. Under the name The Surrender Sound, Josh will be releasing nine new songs this year. Josh was very gracious in letting me hear a pre-release track entitled "Banner" and I'm happy to spread the word about this new record.

THE SONG

The "banner" image from scripture was prominent during the worship explosion of the early '90s, but soon was eclipsed by other images that have hung around longer - fire falling, shouting louder than the heavens (which makes no sense, by the way,) and singing "whoa whoa whoa". But the banner is something we need to sing about. We need to embrace the idea of finding ourselves under God's banner - finding our whole identity in Him as the Victor-King and submitting our lives to His purposes.

The tune is simple - acoustic, percussion and vocals - and doesn't rush the pace. This isn't a song trying to become an anthem, just waiting around for the big drum solo bridge. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that this specific tune finds it real power when the voices of the congregation overpower it with their own volume.

THE ARTIST
I'm encouraging my readers to check out Josh at his Kickstarter page. He's got about a week to raise the money needed to finish out the project. Poke around the site and if you like what Josh is about, then throw a few bucks his way.

I'll try to keep you updated on Josh's progress with the new project. Thanks, readers! You're great!

0 comments: