BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

RUN TODD RUN, Week 1

We talk about dreams regularly around here at the Todd Blog. I like to hear what dreams we're still hanging on too and even which ones we've given up.

I've shared many of mine, but I can't remember if I've ever posted this one. I'VE ALWAYS DREAMED OF BEING A RUNNER.

I'm not talking a 26-mile marathon, okay? But for the past year or so, I've dreamed about running a 5k. I try to run on a treadmill at the gym or outside in my neighborhood, but I've never pursued the "official" sort of running.

Until last Tuesday.

That's when my wife looked at me and said,

"How about you and me run a 5k in June?"

I'm not quite sure how I responded, but I'm guessing it was something in the style of:

"Are you out of your mind?"

But it stands to reason...my wife has gone all-in on the exercise/get healthy/live life to the full thing. She says, I looked it up at a running site and I think we can do it. The plan online is for nine weeks but we're a little behind so we would have to make the appropriate adjustments.

So we went outside and did a little prep work. By the end of the exercise, Krist wasn't feeling as confident as before, but I think we may give this a try.

Since I already vlog everything I can, I thought I might just quietly post my progress here on the blog...just in case I give up! I posted updates over the past week.

WEDNESDAY (4/28/10)
Did my first run in the "Week 2" plan. Kristen didn't go with me due to some back pain (guess went too hardcore on the weights the day before,) but I went ahead and gave it a shot. This run is pretty simple, basically a 2-min. walk/90 sec. run over a 20 minute span. To you seasoned runners, that may seem like a joke, but by the end, these big honkin' legs of mine were burning! Then at lunch, Kristen tells me she'd like to try to do a run together. WHAT? I already did my run!

So...we ran. Krist did about half the prescribed plan and I finished it out while pushing Finley in the new jogging stroller. Jonah played down the street with a friend and the weather was perfect. Running is always more fun on a nice day. As I ran, I thought...holy cow...this is gonna' be HAWT come June. Proud of Kristen for getting out there and giving it a try.

FRIDAY (4/30/10)
Friday ended up being a solo run, as well. Kristen was scheduled to head to Canton, so Fin and I ran it all again. Man, that was a tough one. The interval stuff is much harder than I expected. Last 10 minutes were rough, probably because I was panting like crazy and driving a 4-year old around who was more than ready to go home. But we made it! YES! Kristen and I were talking later when she announced that even though I'm working through a 9-week system, the race is actually in FIVE weeks. Yeah.

She swears up and down that she gave me the date and that I could do the math to figure out how to step up the training. She says lots of crazy things, that gal...

SATURDAY (5/1/10)
Figuring out that I was behind schedule forced me to amp up the training on Saturday. Yeah, I know, I know. I'm supposed to take days off. I can't afford to take it slow! I got a race to run in five weeks! Kristen now wants to postpone her run until the October race, which makes sense. She's not ready to jump to week 4 of the training. I'm going to try to pull it off, though. We'll see.

Next level run for Saturday was a 90 sec. run / 90 sec. walk / 3-min. run / 3-min. walk. Twice. I was concerned going in, but this particular run seemed easier than the previous level. Decided to amp it up.

MONDAY (5/3/10)
Tried to get back on schedule. As it stands, race is 5 weeks away and I'm working through a 9-week program. Week 5 training includes bigger sections (Two 3 and 5 minute runs) with shorter walk breaks. This one was tough. I didn't run the second 5-min. run. I might could have forced it out, but it really felt unhealthy to push it. Opted to walk the rest of the time. I'll stick with this run for the rest of this particular week. This is a run I'm gonna' need to work on.

You know the silver lining of this thing? I might get to buy a pair of my new dream shoes:
Nike Dual Fusion.
Wouldn't I look fantastic flying down the street in these?

0 comments: