BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 17, 2008

SKRIBIT WEEK #5


WHY DO SOME CONSIDER INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC IN WORSHIP SERVICES TO BE WRONG?
HOW DO YOU PERSUADE OTHERWISE?

As best as I understand it, churches that prohibit the use of instruments in worship do so in an effort to follow New Testament guidelines.

I must profess ignorance here in that I'm not sure how many denominations follow this practice. Obviously, the most well-known fellowship would be the Churches of Christ. (Anybody know if there are other tribes that follow this thinking?)

What little research I have done has revealed that while the Church of Christ acknowledges the use of instrumentation in Old Testament worship, they also believe that the Old Law and method of worship were abolished in the New Covenant.

Because all New Testament references to worship mention singing-but-not-instruments, the Church of Christ cannot confidently use them in worship. (This is not just a music issue, either. The CoC tends to reject many "man-made" worship practices like creeds or other theologies not directly found in the New Testament.)

You can find a really good explanation and some great thoughts HERE.

As to how to persuade someone who believes something like this, I have very little to offer.
I've had one serious conversation with somebody about this in my life and now that I've looked into the issue a bit more, I've decided that conversation was a bit of joke. (The dude I talked with knew little of the church's policy.)

I think conversations like this are certainly beneficial to learn more about other churches, but they very rarely end up converting anybody to any particular point-of-view.

0 comments: