BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 03, 2008

Skribit Friday...

WHO IS MORE POPULAR? TODD OR HERBERT MIDGLEY?
Wow! That's an amazing thing to say. I'm going to go with Midgley. If YouTube views and blog readership and song/video/blog output are any indication, that guy is operating at a level of popularity that I will NEVER be able to touch.

If you'll allow me, I'd like to get serious for a minute about Herbert Midgley. No...seriously. I've had a lot of people ask me why I watch his videos or put his stuff on this blog or why I desperately want to be an 'extra' in one of his movies one day.

I'll admit...when I first came across his stuff, I thought it was silly. (And still do to an extent...) But after following him this long, I have to tell you that I have an amazing amount of respect for this man.

Here is a guy who a college educator with a significant load of classes and a film student in his own right. He's in his mid-to-late 30's and he's single. Every day, a guy like that could come from work, crash on the couch and live a solitary, dull life.

But he doesn't. This guy is constantly creating. And while some of it might seem sillly to you or me, I can respect a guy who is so very obviously living every moment for all it's worth. Midgley isn't just popular, he's inspiring.

Check him out: HerbertMidgley.com

DO YOU STILL MISS LUFKIN?
Twenty bucks says this question came from a family member!

Yeah, we miss Lufkin. The fact is that we're still 'settling' in Tyler. We've yet to start our church fellowship group, so we're still not really able to connect very much with other folks in a small group setting. I think that once we do that, we'll start feeling a bit more at home.

We find ourselves going "into town" a lot. The Wrights get bored very easily, so we're very prone to up and go for a drive. We're actually heading to Lufkin tomorrow, which will be fun. Kristen and the kids have been back once already, but this will be my first time to go home since we moved. I'm looking forward to it!

PLEASE DEFEND YOUR STANCE THAT MADtv IS BETTER THAN S.N.L:
Wow. I never thought my little MadTV video post would cause so much drama. But hey...this person had the courtesy to say "please," so I guess that's better than that bunch of other losers who tried to get all loud about how I'm not with-the-times. (Right, David, Kaity and Stephanie?)

First off, I didn't make a "stance" that MadTV is better than SNL. As a matter of fact, I didn't even say that it was better.

I simply said that I've always enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Saturday Night Live. I'm not sure there a lot of reasons...I just always find myself laughing more at MadTV.

If I had to try to analyze it, I'd put it this way. Personally, I think the smartest thing that SNL has done in the last 2-3 years has been the "Digital Short" idea. While it's a departure from the live-nature of the show, I think they've been really creative. I think it's shown that the SNL writers can go way off center (their center being more cultural/political/celebrity themed humor.) The digital short projects have a decidedly underground feel to them and to me, therein lies their strength.

Now, having said that, let me say this...that's the unknown factor for MadTV for me. To me, I've always loved that many of their sketches had this same sort of underground/left-of-center approach. Sure, they do celebrity stuff, too, but I think the MadTV writers are trying to create more whole mythologies rather than just making parodies of ones we already know. They excel at that 'thing' that SNL only does now and again.

It's not a 'stance.' I just like it better and that's the best reason I can come up with.

1 comments:

Scott said...

mad tv rules