BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

John Knows Politics...

One of the perks of constantly saving posts is that you've always got a "plethora" of stuff to post during your downtime. As a little break from Hospital Watch 2008, I'll be throwing out some random stuff that I've been typing up these past few days.


Finally got the chance to read biographer David McCullough's John Adams. I'll admit that I wasn't even aware of it until I caught some clips from the recent miniseries adaptation.

The book is great. An in-depth look at the men who shaped the country's course as they struggled with the idea and the risk of independence. It's also filled with tons of great quotes from John Adams. I found this one particularly relevant to the cultural climate in which you and I live and breathe.

"This assembly is like no other that ever existed. Every man in it is a great man - an orator, a critic, a statesman, and therefore every man upon every question must show his oratory, his criticism, and his political abilities.

"The consequence of this is that business is drawn and spun out to immeasurable length. I believe it was moved and seconded that we should come to a resolution that three and two make five, we should be entertained with logic and rhetoric, law, history, politics, and mathematics concerning the subject for two whole days, and then we should pass the resolution unanimously in the affirmative."

-John Adams, speaking of the 2nd Continental Congress (McCullough, pg. 86; 2001 Simon & Schustter.)


Sounds familiar, don't it?

1 comments:

Karen said...

So I have known that you are "kind of a big deal" in general, but now I am way inpressed, you are "kind of a big deal intellectually" in my opinion...John Adams is a FANTASTIC READ!!! Incredibly interesting man. And yes, we could have a better government if our politicians would learn from our history rather than just repeat the obvious and redundant.