BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 04, 2008

PREACHING...


A lot of you know that some things changed for me in mid-to-late 2007. Primarily, I got the chance to do more "preaching" at my church.

First, in a dialogue sermon, then all by myself a month or two later. And most of you know what happened...I liked it. A lot.

Then, as 2007 drew to a close, I had this crazy idea to pastor/preach/lead/host a young adult Bible study. So, the preaching thing is obviously gonna' stick around for awhile.

Since all of this stuff started happening, a lot of you (Okay, not A LOT of you. Maybe 2 or 3. Okay, so it was Clay) started hinting that I might be headed toward setting my guitar down and taking on a pulpit.

Let me first say that God can do what He wants. If God tells me to up and join seminary and start churches and preach, then I'll do that. I wouldn't mind it, because A) It would be obeying God and B) I find preaching to be one of the most amazing ministry choices...I'm fascinated by it.

But as flattering as the thought is, I gotta' say that I don't think it's gonna' happen. And I don't think it should. Here's why...

Why is it that our smartest and best ministers are all preachers? Why am I not hearing wise teaching coming from worship leaders? Why do I see seminars and churches promoting events with speakers and teachers that are brilliant but fronted with worship leading by dudes and gals who sing, look pretty and teach us nothing?

When did we decide that the first 30 minutes of our service need to be entertainment and the back half should be educational/pastoral?

Why do I go to youth camp to be led by a bunch of pretty boys with cool shoes who regurgitate tired old Christian culture cliches before some amazing theologian and pastor takes the stage?

Worship leaders, we have a great job. We get to do a thing that a lot of people don't. We get to stand on on a stage and rock and roll and, often, very little is required of us. (Especially if we play all the Top 40 Worship Hitlist.) And most of us get paid a pretty fair wage to do it, too.

But it's not enough, and it's not okay for me to get my pastoring fix elsewhere when God's given me a platform already.

I'm not giving up preaching. As long as God gives me the chance, I'll do it, but all of you worship leaders need to hear me...

WE'VE GOT TO WORK HARDER.
WE'VE GOT TO STUDY.
WE'VE GOT TO KNOW THE WORD.
WE'VE GOT TO GET OVER OURSELVES.
WE'VE GOT TO PASTOR.

Oh, and by "we," I mean, you know, ME.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Totally agree, Todd.

Johnny! said...

"When did we decide that the first 30 minutes of our service need to be entertainment and the back half should be educational/pastoral?"

Sometime around the 1820s. Been downhill ever since.

Todd Wright said...

I really wanted to make a joke about CCLI in the 1820s...

Then I realized they're sending me a check in two weeks...

My hypocrisy only runs so deep.

Jason Fullen said...

Wow. You sound so Paulinian. I like it.

Kaity said...

Agree completely. Worship leaders should know their stuff. Its not just enough to say hey i can play the guitar, sing, and put together some great sets. Leaders should know Gods word and be able to share it with the people they are leading.

Like you said. He has already give the platform.