BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 13, 2007

THE JIG

Britney bombed. Sarah Silverman is mean. Usher is mad. Kid Rock threw punches with Tommy Lee. Justin Timberlake left a party with Rihanna.

Here's the thing: I don't watch MTV. I didn't watch this award show. But thanks to the amazing power of American news and the wonder of YouTube, I - along with millions of others - have become privy all the lowdown dirt on music's biggest night last weekend.

But this award show was pretty important in my opinion. Intrigued? Good, here's why:

For the last 10 years or so, MTV has changed its approach. They went from making money by selling 3 minute commercials for artists to making money by pitching a lifestyle. For a decade, MTV (and others like it) have held up stars like Britney and Silverman and Kid Rock as if to say, "Here, American teenager! This is the life. This is success...look how many cars they have! Look how people applaud when these stars come onstage!"

And while most teenagers don't seriously consider a life in the entertainment industry, they have been force-fed images of what MTV programmers consider the "good life" and, believe me, that takes root.

We see this in a lot of forms - young people deciding to lead lives of anarchy where nothing is really right and everything is cool. We see teenagers who've decided that money really can make you happy. We've got college students who scream their lungs out protesting a war when they're totally cool starting up a slugfest at some nightclub with a stranger who looked at their significant other in a questionable manner.

The wheels are coming off, gang. The pretty and the rich and the talented are being crushed under the weight of the vices made possible by their very successes. I hope students look at the MTV Awards and realize that the jig is up. This thing - this idea of happiness they've been seeing for years and years - isn't working.

I think our youth pastors ought to be talking about this award show for months - not as some sort of fuel for a Jesus-doesn't-want-you-to-drink campaign, but rather as a startling reminder that our culture is screwing us. It's teaching us things that are going to handicap our spirits and put our families and finances and very existence at risk.

Do any of those people mentioned in my first paragraph seem very glamorous now? No, they look empty. They look like lives-at-risk.

I'm not going to be the annoying Christian guy who says, "MTV awards? I don't care about stupid stuff like that!" We better start caring and noticing those rare times when media really does reveal the ugliness of a life lived for self.

8 comments:

blake stewart said...

I agree. Though you should have seen Chris Brown just destroy everyone else's performances. He put all other artist who attempt to dance to shame. This should be why Usher is mad...

Romack said...

I agree and believe you are on to something.

I am thinking now, and there are so many things you see daily on television that magnify this point as well. These celebrity reality shows that show how "amazing" their lives are.

rk said...

good thoughts. I had a conversation recently with a friend who is really wary of letting lots of "secular" stuff --like this ridiculous awards show -- into his life. I agreed with him, but i also reminded him that I learn a lot about what is really going on in the world by carefully and prayerfully watching/reading/listening to this kind of super-pagan stuff every once in a while. Sometimes i listen to lyrics from unbelieving types and I hear a kind of honesty and desperation that is very telling. Sometimes i wish i heard that kind of emotion and soul-vulnerability on the Christian radio.

anyway, a comment like this could take up my whole day, so i'll shut up.

like i said, good thoughts.

Johnny! said...

Nothing is secular, O friend of Ross!

Yes, it's useful to be aware of what they are doing ("I noticed that you are very religious...") yet at the same time, MTV (and the popular culture in general) is not worth a significant amount of attention. Were we serious about the Lord's authority over every area of life, including the arts, MTV and its false world would be insignificant. I'd have Christians not watch that stuff because they are more interested in better stuff, not because it presents a false reality.

But that takes effort. We tend to not like effort.

Todd Wright said...

I feel you, Johnny, but as somebody who works in youth ministry, they're NOT interested in something better.

Just like you mentioned in your post about dealing with the atheist/agnostic, I think there's a value in showing the one with a wrong worldview where exactly his worldview falls short. I think this is a perfect example of what you were talking about.

That's why I think ministry (especially youth ministy) ought to always be aware of events like this because disasters like this one undoubtedly open the eyes of some to say, "Wow. This is pretty sad. That whole life isn't really working."

To feed them the best, we have to show them they're consuming the worst.

And what's this "friend of Ross" junk? Why not "friend of mine?" Are you trying to distance yourself from me? Huh? YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME, JOHN! I'VE PUT TOO MUCH WORK INTO THIS RELATIONSHIP TO WATCH YOU THROW IT ALL AWAY!

Todd Wright said...

oh...you meant the "friend" Ross mentioned.








my bad.

Johnny! said...

Some of 'em are interested in something better...and they get treated like little nerdy freaks. I think, sometimes, that's because we aim at the falsely "cool" kids so much that we actually reinforce their perceived coolness. And then, sometimes they are little nerdy freaks. What do I know? I don't have kids yet.

But when I do...I'll play "Crusades" with my nerdy son John Calvin and then go read the Greek NT together.

:)

Todd Wright said...

John Calvin Simmons.

That does sound "professorial."