BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 13, 2007

Michael Neale - No Greater Audience
Integrity's Hosanna! Music


Everybody I know has already heard me talking non-stop about this record, but since worshipnotes is on its last leg (it's okay, I've made my peace with that,) I figured I'd post my personal review right here on my site.

First things first, I think anybody interested in buying this record needs to know what they're getting. I have found Neale's stuff to be very, very good, but a bit hard to "get" at first listen. The best sort of comparison I can come up with is that this record lands somewhere in between Paul Baloche and Don Moen. The Don Moen-factor is due to the presence of a large choir backing up these songs. I also think Neale's melodies lean toward Moen's simple style. Neale's got lots of vocal skill - and shows it - but the melodies themselves are nice and clean. However, Neale retains some Baloche qualities in that his songs are noticeably groovy. Just as Baloche's tunes are rarely ever "fast," they always have a great rhythm. Neale's stuff is no different. An early review of this record said that the presence of a choir didn't make these songs exclusive for non-choir worship teams, and I'd have to agree. While the choir is nice, these songs could definitely survive with an able 5-piece (acoustic, electric, bass, drums, keys.) I figured I'd review the record track-by-track, then give you my overall rating of the record.

Track 1 - "Intro"
A brief, acapella line by the choir that simple sings "Hallelujah, Jesus! Hallejuah!" In actuality, we will hear this section later because it's the bridge section to the record's title track.

Track 2 - "You Amaze Me"
This tune has so much working for it, but falls a little flat. The song opens with some sparse electric guitar lines and some really nice acoustic guitar voicings. The song also features a pretty unique drum part that adds a ton of energy without ever actually playing "straight." The Coldplay comparison comes to mind, but that's not really the best way to say it. It's a cool song, but thematically, I didn't dig it. I'm just way way tired of songs about "creation." It seems like we've been inundated with songs built around the idea that creation speaks the glory of God. I agree with this, I just think that worship songwriters should be striving to say things that are fresh and original instead of re-hashing old ideas that still personally give them goosebumps.

Track 3 - "As For Me"
"As For Me" opens with the chorus section and has a nice consistent bass part that builds into a rocking declaration of dependence on God. Where track 2 failed in originality, track 3 excels. In my experience, I haven't heard a lot of songs based on the scripture, "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." The chorus is immediately singable, and the verses can be picked up relatively quickly. The downside to this tune is that by starting with 2 choruses back to back, the song ends up feeling too long. But by moving some sections around, your team could find this song a nice addition to your catalog.

Track 4 - "From The Rooftops"
I can' figure out what I love most about this song. Maybe its the nice percussion intro or the jazzy acoustic octave thing in the intro. Maybe it's the fact that the chorus is just long enough or the fantastic bridge where the choir builds almost to a shout with "sing about Jesus!" This is also the first example of Neale's new approach to musical bridges...the music under the choir's vocal vamp is a creative build wherein the chords sound more like something from the Beatles than a standard two chord bridge. (Neale will incorporate this sort of feel in many of these songs.)

Track 5 - "I Am Yours"
Michael Neale earned serious worship leader cred with his last record (Made Me Glad) by showcasing his talent for hymn remakes. I love hymns, and I love the fact that they still are a part of congregational music. While they may not be as prominent on worship records as they should be, I think Neale is one of the best at making these old songs fresh without distorting them. Typically, I don't like it when artists/writers add sections to a hymn (Writing a NEW part to "Amazing Grace?" Are you crazy?) However, if you need a hymn with a new chorus, Michael Neale is your man. In fact, "I Am Yours" is actually "Take My Life and Let It Be," led beautifully by piano and arranged very nicely. The nice thing about this tune is the "I am Yours"-chorus, which is big enough to survive on its own, apart from the hymn. In my church, I plan on teaching that particular chorus over a few Sundays...maybe as a tag to another song in the same key, maybe during a prayer or commitment time. Teaching this as a separate musical selection will give you great flexibility as a worship team (new material!) In addition, when you add the chorus to "Take My Life," you seem like the master worship leader who's a genius at combining themed material. Michael Neale makes you look good!

Track 6 - "More and More"
I noticed the other day that Integrity had a feature article about this tune. It's okay, I guess, but didn't really do it for me. I tend to have problems with songs that say "I want to love You/know You/see You more." I don't know why. I don't have any sort of theological issue with songs like this...I just tend to dislike them.

Track 7 - "No Greater Audience"
Yes, yes, yes. I'll be honest, I don't necessarily dig the verses - they're okay, just not amazing. But the chorus and bridge are outstanding! This song demands a very talented pianist/keyboard player to manage the unique minor and altered chords. I also like that the chorus is a bit tricky - it doesn't sound like your standard worship chorus...it's mellow and slow-burning, but so good. By the time we hit the bridge of "Hallelujah, Jesus! Hallelujah!" (see notes on Track 1,) I'm usually singing at the top of my lungs, often with hands raised or playing air-drums.

Track 8 - "I Will Dwell"
Simple song with some ideas we've probably heard and sung before. Not the worst song on the record, but not really a standout either.

Track 9 - "Redeeming Love"
Other than the fact that electric part on this record sound EXACTLY the intro of a Caedmon's Call song, "Redeeming Love" is really good. Again, Neale experiments with a song form that's less "drive" and more "build." Worship services that prefer more straight-ahead rocking might be quick to overlook this track because of it's subtle nature, but that would be a mistake. Lyrically, it's one of the strongest songs on the record, and it has a great, original melody.

Track 10 - "Beautiful King"
This song would be great if it wasn't named "Beautiful King." It's a great song. It's just not about God's beauty or His Kingdom. In my case, that's where they lose me. It's a shame, because it's a nice song. Worship leaders who might be a little more relaxed about linearity (man, I hope that's a word,) will probably find this tune very accessible, but I'm jut not digging it.

Track 11 - "Hallelujah To The King"
Nice little verse-chorus back-and-forth song. I like the shorter time on this song, as it prevents it from becoming boring. Take away the current-day production value, and you have something very reminiscent of early Integrity or Vineyard "choruses."

Track 12 - "On Mountains High"
This is the type of song we need in the church today. It's not necessarily amazing writing - I'll praise You on mountains high, valleys low, etc. - but it's done so well. The melody and phrasing are really nice. The only downside for me personally was the inclusion of a "river/ocean" metaphor that didn't really line up with the rest of the tune. Other that, it's the type of song we should be singing more of!

Track 13 - "The Rock"
Groove, groove, groove...again with the subtle jam! Here again, acoustic voicings are nice - droning high note couple w/ a low electric chord suspension make for a nice texture. This song will NOT work in the real world without a smart, skilled drummer to find a way to bring the power without overshadowing the great melody and lyrics. The last track is probably the most accessible tune with regard to lyrics and melody.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- While there are certainly things about this record I don't like, I do think it's one of the best worship resources that Integrity's put out. As a worship leader, I have certain things I'm looking for in songs for my church. As a leader, you may have a completely different set of "issues" you're dealing with in song selection. Regardless of your overall worship approach, I think No Greater Audience will provide at least 3-4 songs for almost any congregation. (Except for you high-church crowd...but hey, you've got your own jams...) If you can pick up this record, invest a little time in it. I think you'll be glad you did.

0 comments: